Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WildmanJoe
    • Jan 2003

XVID superior to DivX? Maybe not...

After using XVid for the past 8 months, I just realised a problem about XVid with respect to other codecs like DivX... The movies I encode using XVid are granulated, meaning that if you look closely at each frame, you will see small dots all over the place, whereas in DivX, these spots are absent. However, XVid produces sharper images as compared to DivX.

So, can someone please tell me that I am wrong or that my settings for XVid are wrong, such that it results in this 'granulated' effect for XVid. I have tried all the XVid guides under high heaven and I am still unable to solve this granular problem.

If anyone doesn't have this problem, please let me know, thanks cos I always support freeware software.
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Perhaps search the forum at doom9.org and look at the xvid encoding guide there.

Comment

• WildmanJoe
      • Jan 2003

Tried that already... in fact I've tried almost all the possible combinations for the XVid settings... was hoping to get more replies so that I can prove that I was wrong... but anyway thanks. Go observe your XVid files and compare it with a Divx one, and see if there is any difference.

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Re: XVID superior to DivX? Maybe not...

Originally posted by WildmanJoe
        ...The movies I encode using XVid are granulated, meaning that if you look closely at each frame, you will see small dots all over the place, whereas in DivX, these spots are absent.....
        Yes this is perfectly normal. Read the Mpeg-4 codec comparison at doom9 for more in depth talk about this.

Last edited by khp; 20 Jan 2003, 06:58 AM.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...