Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slain
    • Jan 2003

having troubles with TMPGEnc

I have an xvid file that i want to transcode into an mpeg 2. So i loaded it into TMPGEnc and i put all the options down that i wanted and start the transcoding. It seems to do just fine until one part in the movie, and thats when i lose the video (just turns into a black screen) but the audio still transcodes. I can view the avi movie just fine using windows media player, but the mpeg file that i make, the video keeps going out in that same place. Ive never had any problems like this before, please help!

xvid file info

Video
    Frame size, fps: 640X272, 23.976 fps
    # of frames: 251701 (2:54:58)
    Decompressor: XviD MPEG-4 Codec
    # of key frames: 3041
    Min/avg/max/total key frame size: 1903/15570/48558(46240k)
    Min/avg/max/total delta frame size: 98/4905/34620(1191177k)

Audio
    sampling rate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2 (Stereo)
    Sample Precision: 16-bit
    compression: PCM (uncompressed)
    Preload skew: 22050 samples (0.50s)
    # of frames: 251691
    Min/avg/max/total frame size: 88/7357/88200 (1808436K)

i am using TMPGEnc 2.5 and i want to transcode it into this type of Mpeg 2

Video
    Stream Type: Mpeg-2 Video
    Size: 720X480
    4:3 display
    29.97 fps
    video arrange method: center (custom size) 720X306

Audio
    MPEG-1 Audio layer II
    48000 Hz
    Stereo
    Bitrate: 192

Please help, and thanks in advance.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

A few suggestions, if I may, which you certainly can feel free to disregard:

1) Split your 3 Gig .AVI into two .AVIs
    2) Upmixing the audio from a frequency of 44,100Hz to 48,000Hz is not a good idea and, perhaps more importantly, will not in any way improve it
    3) There is nothing to be gained by changing the framerate from 23.976Fps to 29.976Fps
    4) Increasing the resolution from 640x272 to 720x480 (or 720x306) will result in a poorer quality image (The ONLY reason for increasing to this resolution would be if you were creating a DVD)

Comment

• Slain
      • Jan 2003

cool

actually im trying to make a dvd... i will try your other suggestions though. thanks a bunch! if they dont work.. ill probably reply to this message sometime tomorrow.
      Slain

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"thanks a bunch!"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• Ndb
          • Mar 2002

Slain

What you have is a bad frame in the source avi mate.

You see TMPGenc is a lot less tolerent to bad frames than Mediaplayer etc. Run the file through VirtualDub and get it to check for bad frames. Some times just running it through V-Dub with "direct stream copy" can clean out junk.

If your wave is seperate then you must mux it in V-Dub before you chop any bad frames or your audio will be longer than your video and get sync probs.

Also get hold of GoldWave and run your wave file through it to resample to 48khz, as TMPGenc is not that good at upsampling from 44-48, it can introduce noise.

Setarip

points 2) 3) & 4) are incorrect for MPEG2 creation, as you only really convert to MPEG2 for SVCD or DVD (IMHO) and 48khz audio, 23-29 (with 3:2 pd) & a compatible AR (720x480/576 for DVD) are all needed for this. The 720x306 is for 4:3 Letter Boxed 2.35:1 movie.

Everything is always IMHO Ndb)

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To Ndb

1) 48,000Hz is not REQUIRED for SVCD - 44,100Hz does just fine

2) 23.976Fps (NTSC Film), likewise does just fine for SVCD

3) Lastly, my original statement "4) Increasing the resolution from 640x272 to 720x480 (or 720x306) will result in a poorer quality image (The ONLY reason for increasing to this resolution would be if you were creating a DVD)" - is in no way, that I see, contradicted by what you've said

And by all means, do keep in mind that my first response (the one you've addressed) was based on Slain's initial post, to wit:

"I have an xvid file that i want to transcode into an mpeg 2."

P.S. Re: your comment, "as you only really convert to MPEG2 for SVCD or DVD (IMHO)" - Actually, there's a "world" of MPEG-2s floating around the 'Net...

Comment

• Slain
              • Jan 2003

thanks....

Well i figured out that i did have a bad frame in the video... its hardly noticeable, but its there. So i deleted it and it works fine now. Thanks to both of you, and no need to get at each others throats

Slain

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Congratulations on resolving your dilemma - despite us ;>}

(Don't misinterpret friendly differences of opinion as "being at each others throats - it's just a normal part of constantly growing and learning...)

Comment

Working...