Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IndusJoe
    • Dec 2002

Overall best image quality.

I have been using XviD and DivX for a while now and I have compressed many movies using them. When I convert using these agents I never seem to get a result that has even image quality throughout the movie.. let me explain;

If is use CBR in xvid logically I should get even image quality through the movie but during fast motion the image quality is considerabliy lowered. I have never used 2 pass encoding method, would that be have any impact on overall image quality?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Re: Overall best image quality.

Originally posted by IndusJoe
    If is use CBR in xvid logically I should get even image quality through the movie but during fast motion the image quality is considerabliy lowered.
    No, you won't. CBR mode simply means that approximately the same amount of bits is assigned to every frame in the video stream. Each frame compresses differently (eg. fast-motion scenes require more bits than low-motion scenes), and hence the reason why you found the fast-motion scenes to look worse.

Only when you use 1-pass, Quality-based setting can you get equal quality for every frame. Not with the 1-pass, CBR mode though.

Originally posted by IndusJoe

I have never used 2 pass encoding method, would that be have any impact on overall image quality?
    It will look better than 1-pass, CBR-mode. In addition to that, the 2-pass encoding mode will ensure that fast-motion scenes get more bits and low-motion scenes get less, hence making the bitrate distribution more efficient.

Comment

Working...