Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Max_Schreck
    • Feb 2003

My first rip... and a few questions...

Hi everyone, this is my first post but I have been lurking in this forum for some time, getting information on the tools and techniques necessary to rip a DVD, also I've been reading just about every guide I could find. So first I should thank all of the members of this excellent forum for sharing their knowledge and experience with the rest of us newbies. Today I watched my first rip and, God knows how, I got it just about right in the first try. I used Smart ripper to decrypt the DVD, DVD2AVI + VFAPI to frameserve to VirtualDubMod, I converted and normalized the soundtrack with Cool Edit Pro and then VDMod again to multiplex audio and video. Nothing fancy, no subtitles nor secondary audiotrack, the sound is perfectly in sync and I'm very satisfied with the overall look of the movie, if I look very closely I can see a little blockiness but also if I look very closely at my TV screen when playing a DVD I can see all kinds of lines and pixels and you name it. I watched my movie in the computer from about 6 ft and at that distance was hard to tell the divx from the DVD. However there are two things that intrigue me: One is that I missed my target AVI file size by 60 MB (with 84 min. movie length at 1000 Kbps and 592 x 400 output resolution I aimed for 700Mb and came in at 640MB, soundtrack is CBR MP3 at 128 Kbps) which means that i could have used a higher bitrate and attained yet better quality, I used a bitrate calculator (DivXLand BR) so I don't know what the story is with that. Any ideas anyone please?
    The second thing is how long the encoding took: 18 hours in my 500MHz machine ( 1 pass with DivX 5.02 pro), I just want to know if this is normal, if it's not can someone please tell me what is it that I'm doing wrong? if it is normal, well I'll just have to accept it until I can get a faster machine, so it's not really a big deal. What I really want to know is whether there is a more precise way of predicting file size, I hate wasting the space in the Cd when I could use it to increase the bitrate.
    Again, thanks a lot to all of you for this great forum, and thank you in advance for your kind replies to my questions.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Either you have reached the maximum quality (in which case the codec has determined that no more bits are required), or you simply missed the targeted filesize. Though I'm inclined to believe it is the former possibility that is causing it, you might want to try reencoding at a higher bitrate.

18 hours in my 500MHz machine ( 1 pass with DivX 5.02 pro), I just want to know if this is normal,
    A bit slow, but still acceptable, if you ask me. The encoding speed will be noticably reduced especially when you enable MPEG-4 tools, such as B-frames, GMC and QPel. You should be able to get a little speed boost by moving from vFAPI to Avisynth for the frameserver. To do that, you will need to install Avisynth, download a file called mpeg2dec2.dll (don't know if this is integrated into later versions of Avisynth though) and then, create a new TXT file. Rename the TXT file to AVS, open it using Notepad and input the following:
    LoadPlugin("mpeg2dec2.dll file location")
    mpeg2source("D2V file location")

This will serve the same function as the pseudo-AVI created by vFAPI.

Comment

• Max_Schreck
      • Feb 2003

I appreciate your advice, I'll try frameserving with Avisynth for my next rip. Thank you very much.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

You're welcome.

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

1. using a ONE pass routine is to blame for your filesize AND quality!

use 2 passes instead - no matter if it takes longer!!

2. vfapi is very slow compared to avisynth when it comes to frameserving.

thus you WILL be able to speed up the process by using avisynth.

especially using the LATEST version 2.5 gave me an additonal boost of approx. 25% compared to avisynth 2.07 which is already faster than vfapi!

using two pass routines is described in my guides:

and the latest guide on DVX can be reached by cklicking my pic below.
          Last edited by UncasMS; 25 Feb 2003, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• Max_Schreck
            • Feb 2003

Thank you for taking the time to make some valuable suggestions, I will try 2 pass encoding in my next rip and also give Avisynth a shot.

Comment

Working...