Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • podmon
    • Feb 2003

Question about multipass (divx 5.02)

I haven't been able to find an answer to this on the forum or in the articles. When doing two pass encoding with Divx 5.02, should the bitrate stay the same for both passes? I seem to remember manual two pass with 3.1 would use different combinations, but I get the feeling with 5.02 it should stay the same.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

first pass analyzes, second pass tries to make the best out of the pre-set bitrate and the analyzation.

i.e. the second pass is able to go above or below the desired bitrate but uses the bitrate you selected as a mean value

Comment

• podmon
      • Feb 2003

Let's say I was ripping a DVD for a 120 min movie. I've set the first pass and second pass bitrate at about 1400, to fit across two CDs. For the best quality, should I change these values for each pass. What would be a recommended settings, instead of having both passes at 1400. By setting both passes at 1400 am I at least gaining significant quality over single pass, or do I need to set first pass at like 1200 and second pass at 1600 and the best bitrate will be chosen for a particular scene?

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

The DivX5 2-pass rate control mechanism was designed to work best when you use the same btrate setting for both passes.

You can change the bitrate setting between passes, but the analyse done in the first pass will become increasingly inaccurate the more you change it.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...