Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmswim
    • Feb 2003

Problems converting AVI 2 VCD

I'm having problems converting an avi file (LOTR-the two towers) to VCD...if I play the avi on my computer the audio and video work, but whenever I convert it to mpg to VCD, only the video converts. Virtual Dub, TMPG or AVI2MPG2 does not recognize the audio file. It is not even listed in the properties...I can de-multiplex the video fine but can't get the audio to work....any ideas or write-ups on how to fix this problem?
  • gs0666
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Nov 2001

In VDub
    File-->File Information
    Post the information regarding the file.
    Or use GSpot

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

The audiostream is probably in either .AC3 format ("Unknown [tag2000]") or Variable Bitrate MPEG Layer 3 (VBR .MP3) (Almost twice as many audio frames as video frames).

If it proves to be .AC3:

In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to the highest priority. This will enable TMPGEnc to accept a properly encoded .AVI with .AC3 audio for input...

If it proves to be VBR:

Converting .AVIs with VBR-MP3 Audio

Simply use NanDub to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
      Load your original .AVI into NanDub
      Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copy"
      Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode"
      From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Compression" - and choose From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Compression" - and choose "<No compression(PCM)>"
      From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save WAV" (Enter a new filename with a ".WAV" extender).Click on "OK"
      Then set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
      Then save the .AVI as a silent .AVI (set "Audio" to "No audio" after you've saved the WAV file).
      Open TMPGEnc and "drag and drop" the silent .AVI onto it, then do the same with the .WAV file

Comment

• Tadysak
        • Mar 2003

I tried both of your ideas,

I tried setting The Tmpge to higher priority but It kept saying "runtime error" I think the movie has the AC3 codec but Tmge will not open the audio, just the video

I tried the Nan dub thing and it failed as well.

Is their something I'm missing???

Virtual dub reads Unknown Tag 2000 and 5 channel stereo when I look under file properties. Any help is appreciated Thank you

Comment

Working...