Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • One Tin Soldier
    • Feb 2003

mpeg2avi Video Length incorrect

Hi All. I am having trouble trying to get a movie correctly encoded using mpeg2avi.
    First, I guess I feel like telling my story a little. I am kind of new to all this ripping and encoding stuff, hehe. But I have tried a number of the tools available and am beginning to understand them. At first I bought and installed DivX 5.0.3 Pro and used Vidomi. A friend of mine recommended it. I used the default settings and it worked. It was a pretty poor quality result though. I ran Vidomi again but changed various Vidomi and DivX codec settings. It didn't work. So then I tried Gordian Knot. I saw it said it was tested with DivX 5.0.2 but thought I'd try it anyway. Of course it didn't work. I tried a lot of other stuff also. And I played with various settings on all of the above. I couldn't get anything to work. So then I tried using the Nicky Pages' guide to using mpeg2avi, GraphEdit, and VirtualDub.
    First, I ripped using DVDDecrypter in IFO Mode, and selected to rip just the main movie and main english audio track, which was at 0x80. No other language or subtitle tracks. Then I used m2apx3g.exe(mpeg2avi 0.1.6c) with the Danni Din GUI v0.20j. In the GUI I set the DivX settings as Fast-Motion Codec, Keyframe every 1 second, Crispness 100, and Data Rate(bitrate) at 1560. A preview of the movie in DVD2AVI showed it as 29.970 fps, so I chose fps setting 'f6' in the GUI(29.970 = 29,970/1000). Postfilter Quality at Hi Quality. Reference Quality at 'r1' 32-bit MMX iDCT. I just thought I'd try those settings and see if it gave me a high quality encoded video. And it did. I then extracted the audio using Graphedit and got my .wav file. Then I used VirtualDub 1.5.1 to multiplex them. When I watched it the Audio was way off kilter from the Video synch at the start and got worse as the movie went on. I tried this procedure a couple more times with the same result.
    My friend came over and recommened that I remove DivX 5.0.3 and put 5.0.2 on and use Vidomi. And so I did.. And then set it to encode with a High-Quality One Pass. No changes to codec settings. Set Vidomi to compress audio into mp3 and for a larger than default file size. It made a great DivX movie just fine.
    But I really wanted to use some more advanced tools now that I learned how to use them a little, and thought maybe using DivX 5.0.2 would solve my problem. So I tried again using mpeg2avi, but came out with the same results. I decided to try and look a little closer this time to see if I could try and tell where the problem lay. Well, I found that the video was about 2hrs 17mins in length whereas it should have been 2hrs 58 mins in length. The Audio was correct, the wav file made with GraphEdit was 2hrs 58mins in length. And there you have it. If anyone knows what I might be doing wrong please let me know.
    I have seen UncasMS recommending DVX. I think I'll put 5.0.3 back on and give that it a try. Just wondering if DVX supports 5.0.2 or just the newer 5.0.3. Guess I'll find out when I check DVX out.

Cheers
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

DOLEMITE's DVX can handle divx 5.0.3 just as fine as xvid or 5.0.2 which i prefer.

click my upper picture if you'd like to take a look at my DVX guide

or the other gif for my guides on gordianknot + divx5
    Last edited by UncasMS; 1 Mar 2003, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• One Tin Soldier
      • Feb 2003

Thanks UncasMS. I'll be trying DVX out here soon.

I forgot to include that in mpeg2avi I selected o8 YV12 for DivX as the Output, of course.

Comment

• One Tin Soldier
        • Feb 2003

Hello again. I thought I'd let you know that I tried DVX but BeSweet had an Access Violation Error in ntdll.dll.

Comment

• One Tin Soldier
          • Feb 2003

Well, I tried DVX again. I have left the DivX 5.0.2 Pro installed. When I looked at the codec configuration it was set on 1-Pass High Quality based. I changed it to 1-Pass. DVX worked! But, I didn't get any audio in the movie it made. I don't know how to configure the audio yet. I'll probably manage to figure it out though. I already think I know what I did wrong. After I get a good one with audio in it I'll try the 5.0.3 DivX and Xvid codecs!

Thanks

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

if i were you i would NOT use 1pass but 2pass instead

for specific problems/questions on DVX go to:

Comment

• One Tin Soldier
              • Feb 2003

Ok. After a few more tries I got it... DVX worked. I used the 2-Pass setup like you recommended, and the end result was an excellent quality DivX movie. Just what I was looking for! Thanks for your guide UncasMS and thanks to the guys who made DVX and the programs it uses. I like it!

3.06 Ghz Intel P4 on Asus P4T533-C, 1 GB 1066 Samsung RDRAM, NEC MultiSync FE2111SB 22" Monitor, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro Videocard, Creative Audigy2 Soundcard, 120 GB w/8 MB Cache Western Digital HD, 36 GB Seagate 15,000 RPM SCSI HD, WinXP Pro SP1, Debian(Sid a.k.a unstable)/GNU Linux 2.4.21-pre4-ac4 EXT3(on the SCSI HD).

Comment

Working...