X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bibendum
    • Mar 2003

What format to choose AVI or VCD

Hi,
    I've seen several conversion guides, but my main question is. What format is the best - AVI or VCD? I mean regarding the size of the file - does VCD demande more size when burned on CD-R then the same AVI file would do?
    Another qst: Would an AVI file converted to VCD turn out to be of good watchable quality on a TV? Wouldn't it depend a lot on the original AVI quality on a pc screen?
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

AVI (DivX/XviD-compressed) generally offers the better compression ratio, but is not compatible with the majority of stand-alone players.

Use VCD if you wish to view the converted movie on a stand-alone player (DVD or VCD player, for example).
    Use AVI if you wish to view the converted movie on the computer.

Comment

• divxdude
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Dec 2001

if you want the best possible Quality and fit on 1 CD go with DivX/Xvid conversion.

Reason i say this is cause VCD uses MPEG, and encoding to mpeg is a real pain in the ass cause an AVI at 1200 birate looks excellent, but an MPEG 1200 birate looks grainy and real dark.

The only way to get an MPEG comparable to AVI is to encode it at like a 5000-6000 birate, which will be the size of a DVD 4.2GB.

Comment

Working...