Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue_DVD
    • Mar 2003

AVI file conversion problem to MPG2 for DVD

I was given a AVI file that someone downloaded from a web sight.... So I do not know the source. It looks like a camcorder capture of a movie screen playing amovie (horrible quality).

The file is identified as an AVI file extension (which doe snot always mena anything). I can open and play it in Microsoft's windows media player (or Win Amp) fine. But none of the other software shows the video (ie. it only plays the audio). This include Premier 6.5, Impression DVD Pro and VirtualDub and others.

Using VirtualDub and abcAVI tag Editor this is what I can find out about the files...

Compression: 98.826%
    Video Strewam: Microsoft MPEG-4 V3 'MP43' <0x3334504D>, 352x288, 24 bit, 45277 frm, 12.5000 frm/s, 357.076 kbit/s
    AVI is Interlaced
    AVI File as 'idx1' chunk

Audio Stream: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) <0x0055>, 24000 Hz, 56.000 kbit/s, Stereo

None of the utilities can change the file to a viewable MPG2.
    I have used: Premier, abcAVI Tag Editor, VirtualDub and TMPGEncoder to try and get it to convert into a standard MPG for burning to a DVD or CD. No luck!

Trying to convert the frame rate to any DVD frame rate does not make it viewable on my PC!
    Changing the frame size does nothing!
    changing it to 16 bit video does nothging.
    Converting to MPG2 doesnt work in any of these products

Now I am not even close ot an expert on any of these products, so it could be useage of these products...

Is the issue that is is actually a MPEG-4 file format not AVI and none of these encoders can decode MPEG-4 to MPEG2?

Any suggestions other than giving up?

• UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

you will have to have to ms mpeg4 v2/3 codec installed.

then tools like TMPEG or DVD2SVCD will be able to convert that avi to mpeg-2

Comment

• Blue_DVD
      • Mar 2003

Thanks... I will try and get the codec that works..
      Anyone know where to get the MPEG4v3 driver prior to the 4.00.0.3845 version? This version and later have issues with AVIs.

Here is a web site the adds discomfort for people using Micorsoft's MPEG-4 codec with AVIs...

It basically says... DON'T DO IT MAN!

Comment

• Blue_DVD
        • Mar 2003

I found one set by downloading the Tsunami Filter-Pack version 3.8.9

They work, but VirtualDub says they are hacked...
        Are these safe?

Does anyone have the non-hacked microsfot version?

Comment

Working...