Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kael999
    • Apr 2003

The best performance/quality application

Hi, I need some help. (my english is not good)
    I've been using several apps to encode my movies but my experience on this topic is limited.
    I'm getting good results with the final output using divx 5.xx pro and software like: flaskmpeg 078 39, DVD2AVI_1.77.3, GordianKnot but i'm willing to know which of the available software out there is the best and why.
    if i were going to make a 1 cd divx with the original resolution (720*480) trying to obtain the best posible results, which would be the program to use and the most important characteristics to set.
    i'm convince that is very important to mantain the original resolution so i don't like to resize, if i'm wrong please explain.
    i've been reading and i haven't been able to discover which of the mentioned programs is the best or if there is another that i don't know yet.

please excuse my ignorance
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Give DVX a try. Dump Flask.

i'm convince that is very important to mantain the original resolution so i don't like to resize, if i'm wrong please explain.
    I am more inclined to say that I would like to maintain the original aspect ratio, which is normally either 4:3 or 16:9 or 2.35:1. In addition, the full DVD resolution makes it harder for the codec to compress, hence resulting in lower final quality than what you would get at a lower resolution.

Comment

• kael999
      • Apr 2003

It looks very good i'm gonna give it a try,
      this is the first time that i see this software and it looks great.
      thanks for your help

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

You're welcome.

Comment

• pyntrr
          • Apr 2003

which encoder is best?

I'm not too familiar with the various programs out in the ether for doing divx rips, but i like using Da Rippak 15.5 by B. Heller. I use the 5.0.2 codec and use a two pass method and have been getting excellent results. By using a two step method of the program, i can rip the vobs in the 1st, and encode with the 2nd. Depending on your processor, it will take an overnight time period but is well worth it!!! I have an AMD 1.4G Thunderbird and a 1:30 movie takes about 5 hours to encode but is totally smooth andexcellent quality!! You can use the one pass method and have it in as little as 2 hours but the two pass is much better. Hope this helps!!

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

my vote - of course - goes to DVX as well.

great build-in options - avisynth filters

superb output quality - thanks to divx 5.02/3/4 or xvid in combination with virtualdub!

Talk about the AVI file container, and the Divx/Xvid codecs that are most commonly found in AVI files
            Last edited by UncasMS; 23 Apr 2003, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Working...