X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diegoll2k
    South American DivXer
    • Mar 2002

DivX 5.0.5 pros/cons

Hey, I've been out of the ripping world for a pair of months (mainly because of studying), and I noticed DivX 5.05 is out.....the last DivX version I tested was 5.0.3 and it wasn't what I expected ?? Is this new version better than DivX 5.0.2 ?? Does GKnot 0.28 support it ??
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

i'm quite satisfied with latest version 5.05

dont know about gk, i use DVX for conversion

Comment

• dodger1982
      • Apr 2003

I've used it fine with gk 0.28

Comment

• Vaughn
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Jan 2002

UNcasMS what improvement have you noticed on 5.05 from 5.02 pro? Is it more configurable or has the quality of the codec increased in some way? Also is it glitch free?

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

i consider it reliable as opposed to 5.03. this of course does not make it any better than 5.02.

i used the back to the future trilogy for testing puposes and found 5.05 in certain (rare) scenes to produce less macroblocks than xvid and divx 5.02.

maybe it was more a coincidence than an improved codec - i dont know. but at last this version is working properly for me and i did not experience any glitches.

Comment

• techno
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2001

I still stick to the original and best imo

3.11alpha.

Comment

• scottws
              • May 2003

Originally posted by techno
              I still stick to the original and best imo

3.11alpha.
              I see a lot of people saying this, but no one ever explains it. What makes 3.11a better than say 5.05?

Comment

• techno
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Nov 2001

because it is the ORIGINAL and best.

quality is of stunning !!!!!

less hassle

more stabler

LESS LOW FILE SIZE AND HIGH QUALITY

can rip DVD's and put them on 1 700MB CD WITHOUT loss of visual quality (following my guide)

and well, it damn good!

Comment

• movmasty
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by scottws
                  I see a lot of people saying this, but no one ever explains it. What makes 3.11a better than say 5.05?
                  nandub makes 3.11 better, even 505 is in itself maybe a little better,

xvid surely is.

Comment

• scottws
                    • May 2003

The last two posts are exactly what I'm talking about.

The former explains nothing. Seems like some rabid fanboy saying "IT is teh l33t1st!"

I've never used NanDub. How does NanDub "make" 3.11a better? What's this about XviD?

I need some evidence here. Point me too a page or guide or something that explains the differences, pros and cons, between DivX 5.x (preferrably 5.05) and DivX 3.11a. Point me to a couple identical video clips that show off 3.11a's superiority.

I'm not trying to deny that 3.11a is better or anything. I came into the DivX scene after 5.01 was released, and I always here people say 3.11a is better, but never give real evidence why.

Comment

• movmasty
                      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by scottws
                      I've never used NanDub. How does NanDub "make" 3.11a better? What's this about XviD?

I need some evidence here. Point me too a page or guide or something that explains the differences, pros and cons, between DivX 5.x (preferrably 5.05) and DivX 3.11a. Point me to a couple identical video clips that show off 3.11a's superiority.

I'm not trying to deny that 3.11a is better or anything. I came into the DivX scene after 5.01 was released, and I always here people say 3.11a is better, but never give real evidence why.
                      nandub has a bunch of settings than let you to fine tuning your encode, so the old 3.11 can compete with newer codecs,
                      but you need one year to learn nandub and since more new codecs are coming doesnt worth the job.

regarding xvid i find its video quality very impressive, so much good that i was able to recompress lord of the rings from 2 cd to 1,
                      ok, reducing fps to 15 and with some cropping,but the fact is that quality should go down compressing from an already compressed source, while xvid was acting like an uncompressed source.

so i think that im passing from nandub-3.11 to xvid bypassing divx 5.xx.

xvid gave me some playback prob ,but i solved installig ffdshow.

Comment

• UncasMS
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2001

that show off 3.11a's superiority
                        i'd be more than curious myself

i consider divx5.x way better than 3

3 produces more (visible macroblocks) and 5 is superior especially in dark scenes (not only in intro or credits).

using b-frames makes divx5 and latest xvid version be able to produce good quality with less bitrate than divx3.

so far i have NOT come across any single divx3 file that looked better for MY VERY PERSONAL taste.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Jan 2003

Also I like being able to compress other parts more than others. (I forgot the term) with DivX 5.0.5

Comment

Working...