Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisF
    • Jun 2003

Divx encoding for HDTV

I am currently ripping my DVD collection to divx 3.11a via the Gordian Knot package. My goal is to have solid quality video at full resolution. I play my movies mainly from my modded xbox on my non-HDTV. They look great and I generally leave in the 5.1 AC3 sound. Most of my rips are 1.1 gigs to 1.6 gigs for 120 minutes.

The issue - I will eventually get an HDTV and my xbox is capable of outputing divx in progressive scan. Since I don't have an HDTV right now...how good will these rips look on one? Will I see all kinds of jaggies and artifacts that I can't currently see on my standard NTSC set?

I don't so much mind a larger files size since I utilize a streaming network and magnetic media but I want to make sure that the work I am doing now won't be undone by a tv upgrade. Are there any minimum values I should look out for in the bits/pixel or compressibility test? Any tips on keeping reasonable file size and assuring good quality progressive playback?

Any assistance is appreciated. This site has been great and I've learned how to do this from all of the faqs and tutorials.
  • scottws
    • May 2003

Acutally, I might suggest that you use DivX 5.05 Pro instead. It has a setting for different standards, such as Portable, Home Theater, and High Definition.

Each standard has certain constrains - settings which must be set a certain way or sometimes must fall within a range. When you enable, say, the High Definition profile, it will tell you that you cannot use several settings like GMC. It will also tell you when you are and when you are not in compiance with the standard.

This way, you can ensure that you meet the compatibility requirements. 3.11a has no such feature.

Comment

Working...