Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • generationv
    • May 2003

DivX 3.11 to DivX 5.0.5

So many people asked me: How could I convert my old DivX 3.11 to DivX 5? The answer is now online with the free tutorial DivX3.11 to DivX 5.0.5 dual pass. It includes the DivX audio conversion too.
    Codecs & Softwares used in the Tutorials, all are free!

Generation Video
    Free Online Video Encoding Tutorials
    Last edited by generationv; 30 Jun 2003, 10:08 PM.
    Generation Video
    Tutorials about video encoding DIVX VCD SVCD
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Your link does not seem to work on my end.

And to ask the obvious question, how many online guides (that you and I are aware of) charge readers for reading them?

Comment

• generationv
      • May 2003

Originally posted by Enchanter
      Your link does not seem to work on my end.

And to ask the obvious question, how many online guides (that you and I are aware of) charge readers for reading them?
      I've just seen that too and it's the server which is temporarly down, hope it will be fixed soon. However I'm trying to redirect on another server... keep in touch.
      Generation Video

Comment

• generationv
        • May 2003

The tutorial is now back online, enjoy!
        Generation Video

Comment

• generationv
          • May 2003

All of my online guides are free to read and all softwares I use are free too. So I don't earn any money with this website. It's just a passion I like to share
          Generation Video

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

There are a few things I would like to comment on:

1. You set the Priority setting of VD at "Higher" on Virtualdub 1.5.4 2nd Part. I find this unnecessary as this will interfere with normal Windows operations and does not bring much, if any, improvement on encoding speed.

It might just have been changed accidentally on your part, but I just wanted to make sure that people reading your guide do not get the wrong impression.

2. Another thing is the choice of MP3 encoder. While I have not experienced much with this particular encoder, I have read on other forums (focused on sounds) that the GoGo encoder is not up there in terms of quality and is considered "somewhere around" the first-generation MP3 encoders (Xing or Blade, anyone?). FhG or the even better LAME should be considered as the only viable MP3 encoder.

I also noticed that you also opted to use Stereo mode, even under the lowly bitrate of 96kbps. I am against this since Stereo mode will strain the already limited bits that the encoder has to cope with. Joint Stereo would be the better option since it will seek each channel for "identical sounds" and encode them under one single block (instead of two separate blocks). This results in extra usable bits that can be used in other more demanding parts of the soundtrack. I have no idea how well GoGo handles Joint Stereo operations, but in the case of LAME, it handles it very well (i.e. it is hard to hear any difference in Stereo and Joint Stereo modes, minus the placebo effect).

3. VirtualdubMod is capable of performing all the tasks you assigned to Virtualdub in the initial parts of your guide. So why not eliminate Virtualdub from your list of software (and thus simplifying your guide further) and use VirtualdubMod all the way?

It's a good, thorough guide by the way and I appreciate your effort in this. Cheers!
            Last edited by Enchanter; 30 Jun 2003, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• generationv
              • May 2003

There are a few things I would like to comment on:
              1. You set the Priority setting of VD at "Higher" on Virtualdub 1.5.4 2nd Part. I find this unnecessary as this will interfere with normal Windows operations and does not bring much, if any, improvement on encoding speed.
              You are right, but I always use the high and normal mode is good enough too.

2. Another thing is the choice of MP3 encoder. While I have not experienced much with this particular encoder, I have read on other forums (focused on sounds) that the GoGo encoder is not up there in terms of quality and is considered "somewhere around" the first-generation MP3 encoders (Xing or Blade, anyone?). FhG or the even better LAME should be considered as the only viable MP3 encoder.
              Gogo use Lame

[QUOTE]I also noticed that you also opted to use Stereo mode, even under the lowly bitrate of 96kbps. I am against this since Stereo mode will strain the already limited bits that the encoder has to cope with. Joint Stereo would be the better option since it will seek each channel for "identical sounds" and encode them under one single block (instead of two separate blocks). This results in extra usable bits that can be used in other more demanding parts of the soundtrack. I have no idea how well GoGo handles Joint Stereo operations, but in the case of LAME, it handles it very well (i.e. it is hard to hear any difference in Stereo and Joint Stereo modes, minus the placebo effect).[QUOTE]
              I got some problem when I use the joint stereo when I reencode a DivX Audio. The encoding always bug.

3. VirtualdubMod is capable of performing all the tasks you assigned to Virtualdub in the initial parts of your guide. So why not eliminate Virtualdub from your list of software (and thus simplifying your guide further) and use VirtualdubMod all the way?
              I got some problem of audio extraction of a DivX audio to wav...

It's a good, thorough guide by the way and I appreciate your effort in this. Cheers!
              Thank you
              Generation Video

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

"Gogo use Lame"

Excuse me for asking, but if so which version of LAME and do you have any links (from GoGo website preferably) to prove it?

Comment

• generationv
                  • May 2003

"Gogo use Lame"[/B]

Excuse me for asking, but if so which version of LAME and do you have any links (from GoGo website preferably) to prove it? [/B]

Here it is ! Is it enough for you???
                  Last edited by generationv; 1 Jul 2003, 03:06 PM.
                  Generation Video

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

That will do.

Comment

• scottws
                      • May 2003

I also noticed that you also opted to use Stereo mode, even under the lowly bitrate of 96kbps. I am against this since Stereo mode will strain the already limited bits that the encoder has to cope with. Joint Stereo would be the better option since it will seek each channel for "identical sounds" and encode them under one single block (instead of two separate blocks). This results in extra usable bits that can be used in other more demanding parts of the soundtrack. I have no idea how well GoGo handles Joint Stereo operations, but in the case of LAME, it handles it very well (i.e. it is hard to hear any difference in Stereo and Joint Stereo modes, minus the placebo effect).
                      Actually, LAME not only handles joint stereo very well, it is actually of higher quality than the full stereo mode. Don't ask me why.

If you want to know, visit http://www.hydrogenaudio.org and ask on the MP3 forum. It's hosted by a former LAME dev.

Oh, one thing of note if you do decide to hang around that site, you'll see people recommending the command-line setting "--alt-preset standard." Do not use this for movie encodes. It is VBR, and we all know that VBR and movies don't work well. It is, however, the best setting you can use with LAME for your ripped CDs.

Comment

• UncasMS
                        Super Moderator
                        • Nov 2001

we all know that VBR and movies don't work well
                        we all know that this is only true for old AVI + MP3 VBR

better container like ogm or matroska will provide you with better quality when using vbr audio (with ogg vorbis for example) than avi + CBR!

Comment

• Enchanter
                          Old member
                          • Feb 2002

scottws,

"you'll see people recommending the command-line setting "--alt-preset standard." Do not use this for movie encodes. It is VBR, and we all know that VBR and movies don't work well."

I use LAME APS for my encodes, and to be frank, I have got no problems with them. None of my friends, to whom I lend my rips, have complained either. I am aware of the many people having problems with VBR soundtracks, but that does not extend to me. Hence my decision to remain with the more bit-efficient (and optimised) VBR, standard preset.

Comment

Working...