Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • langrisser
    • Jul 2003

2pass divx\xvid and vbr audio

ok this is really a couple of seperate question but i'm just gona ask all of them here.

1. I use virtualdub to encode divx5 and i'm starting to work with xvid but every time i do the 1st pass with virtualdub it creates a 16kb or so avi file and i was wondering is this a copy of the log file written during the 1st pass or if it's seperate date. i remember using tmpeg to do a 2 pass encode and i used an option to process but not create a output file is there a similiar command for virtualdub?

2. What programs can be used to encode VBR mp3 audio into divx\xvid avi's. Virtualdub doesn't like to read or encode VBR mp3s. VBR mp3s would be a big help and i can't wait till more people use them.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"VBR mp3s would be a big help and i can't wait till more people use them."

A big help in what way?

Comment

• langrisser
      • Jul 2003

the same reason 2 pass video encoding helps, better compression, quality and flexiblity. for example most shows and movies have a intro song and then end up being mostly speach afterward with an ending song and maybe some bg music everyonce in a while the advantage in VBR is it allows for higher bit allocation to times when it is needed(intro \ music) then reduces it when not needed(silence \ speach). speach can be kept in good sounding quality that would make some music sound horrible ... what it basicly comes down to is anything and eveything to reduce file size and keep quality

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

langrisser,

"1. I use virtualdub to encode divx5 and i'm starting to work with xvid but every time i do the 1st pass with virtualdub it creates a 16kb or so avi file and i was wondering is this a copy of the log file written during the 1st pass or if it's seperate date."

This is normal. DivX and XviD output an invalid and tiny-sized video file at first pass. The second pass will be where the valid (and accordingly-sized) video file is created.

In the case of DivX, there will be a separate LOG file (where information gathered from the first pass is stored). Similarly with XviD, there will be a separate STATS file written.

"2. What programs can be used to encode VBR mp3 audio into divx\xvid avi's."

VirtualdubMod and Nandub; the former more highly recommended as it supports DivX and XviD, as well as a number of other features.

Comment

• langrisser
          • Jul 2003

thanks for the help.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

You're welcome.

Comment

• BoF
              • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Enchanter

This is normal. DivX and XviD output an invalid and tiny-sized video file at first pass. The second pass will be where the valid (and accordingly-sized) video file is created.
              the 1st xvid pass is a base-quality pass and you can enable it unchecking the 'discard 1st pass' option.

Originally posted by langrisser
              2. What programs can be used to encode VBR mp3 audio into divx\xvid avi's.
              I recommend oggDropXPd - very good mp3 encoder. hum.
              [www.scandiumrecords.com][Logan dataspirit]

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

BoF,

"I recommend oggDropXPd - very good mp3 encoder. hum"

That's an OGG encoder you are talking about.

Besides, that was not exactly the right answer to the question asked.

Comment

• BoF
                  • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Enchanter
                  BoF,

"I recommend oggDropXPd - very good mp3 encoder. hum"

That's an OGG encoder you are talking about.
                  LOL ! that was french humour
                  just to advice him to do ogg -
                  [www.scandiumrecords.com][Logan dataspirit]

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

Ahh, I see it now.

Comment

• langrisser
                      • Jul 2003

althought i'm a big fan of the ogg format i don't think it would be a wise choice considering it hasn't made a big enough impact that most users have ogg players and ogg playback support. i doubt the target audience i'm going after would try to figure out that they don't have ogg support or wouldn't get it just for my video(s) so vbr mp3 was the best option .... i can't wait for the next level of audio compression ... i beleive i read or watched something which said the next mpeg based audio compression was aiming at 10% of current audio file sizes O:

Comment

Working...