Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Airwolf
    • Jul 2003

Compressing a 1 Hour video to around 300mb

Hello, i am attempting to compress an episode of a television show that i have on VHS. When i had divx 5.0.3 i got something that could be described as an overlay effect, that would create multiple colored dots on the screen as the image played, i was fine with this, and when i had finished encoding the episode it was at a file size somewhere around 300mb. However there was a serious issue with the encoding, for a good segment of the video, the quality of the image would degrade horribly untill it was unwatchable, the screen would turn into a jumbled mess of pixels, it almost looked like a bad wmv file. I have recently upgraded to 5.0.5 and have tried again, with what i believe are the same settings, i am not really sure being that i am no expert. I just finished the encoding a few minutes ago and i am not pleased with the results. The file is now a good image quality, and lacks the overlay effect of the colored dots. But... the video size is now 787mb and when i try to fast forward to a spot in the video, the sound becomes many seconds off sync. Can anyone help me to get this 1 hour show to around the 300ish mb normal range that television episodes normally encode at? Thanks.

-Airwolf
    Last edited by Airwolf; 28 Jul 2003, 01:17 AM.
  • Milliardo
    • Aug 2003

I would interleave the audio and video and encode the video with Xvid at 560kbps for the video and mpeg3 audio at 128kbps.
    With the resolution of 384x288 24fps.

At least thats what i use

Comment

• Satan Claus
      • Apr 2003

i´ve heard bad things about the newer versions of divx... the 5.0.2 was the last good one, try to get it.... plus, divx has problems dealing with resolutions that are not even.
      you should specify more: what color system is the video source, what resolution have you been trying to use, etc...

Comment

Working...