Synchronizing VOBSUB ripped subs from original dvd with subtitles out-of-sync

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • learn42lives
    • Aug 2003

Synchronizing VOBSUB ripped subs from original dvd with subtitles out-of-sync

Hi friends,

I am trying to convert a dvd movie to divx, to be played in a divx player. I used smartripper (to rip the dvd to my hard disk), vobsub (to rip the subtitles in vobsub format) and dvdx + divx 5.05 codec to convert the ripped dvd and subtitles into a divx file with permanent subtitles. The Divx file, so produced, is working perfectly on all software players and on the liteon dvd player.

There is however, one problem, a solution to which, I have not found anywhere on the internet. The dvd, originally, had a problem with the subtitles. They were often delyed by a second or two. The resulting divx also has the out-of-sync subtitles problem.

Is there any utility (prefereable freeware) available on the net, which can help me synchronize the subtitles on the divx file or one which can help synchronie the vobsub subtitles through the .idx file. I have already tried subrip, but it does not accept the vobsub files and is asking for micrdvd sub files.

Thanks.
  • shiny#3
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jul 2003

for synchronising subtitles:

subcreator or substation alpha

once I got hold of a subtitle file, almost no matter what format
    I use the subcreator to do a little 2 seconds shift.

virtual dub can use a filter to reintegrate them as permanent
    subtitle then.

by the way
    have you tried to let DVDx perform all the ripping and
    decoding of video and subtitles directly from dvd?

reintegrating permanent subtitles does mean reencoding anyway.

good luck!

Comment

• learn42lives
      • Aug 2003

Thanks shiny#3, for your quick help.

How exactly, can one use the subcreator to do a x seconds shift, for a vobsub subtitle file. The vobsub sub file, certainly cannot be directly edited, as it uses a a graphic format and the subcreator help has no assistance ifor .idx files either.

TIA.

Comment

• learn42lives
        • Aug 2003

shiny#3, I managed to use subresync to ocr convert the vobsub .sub file to a text .sub/,srt file. After that, as you said, the time-shift is possible.

I wonder, if there is any way in which one can save/modify/correct the character matrix created by subresync in the process.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...