Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoomWolf
    • Oct 2003

Xmpeg vs GK

I've seen lots of guys saying GK is better than Xmpeg. I must be doing something wrong, because I don't see why. Though GK is simpler and easier to use, it takes me longer to set up to convert VOB's than with Xmpeg.

More importantly, I REALLY struggle to get decent quality graphics with GK. If I use Xmpeg to convert a movie to DivX, at 700Mb, the movie comes out practically crystal clear (average size movie of 1.5 hours). IF there is any lack of quality it only shows in black or very dark areas.
    Converting the same movie with GK at 700Mb, the movie will have a fuzzy quality. With everyone raving about GK, I HAVE to be doing something wrong!!! What it is, I have no idea.

The only problem I have with Xmpeg is that in Xp and 98 (I didn't have a problem with Millenium) I get an error saying that I can't use the output file or I have set it up incorrectly. GK will work, bar the crappy graphics. I have just read another thread dealing with a problem that might/might not be the same as mine, and it was suggested that the fault might lie with DVDdecrypter (Xmpeg sometimes has a problem with the way this ripper rips), so I will try Smartripper and maybe this problem will go away.

Anyway, if GK is superior, I hope someone out there has a link to a good instruction guide, because the one I'm using is obviously leaving something out.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

What type of resizing algorithm did you specify GK to use?

Comment

• DoomWolf
      • Oct 2003

I'm not really sure. Where exactly do you set it in GK? Maybe give me an example so I can be 100% I know what you mean by resizing algorithm.

About my Xmpeg problem, for anyone reading this thread, using Smartripper did not help. Still get the same error. I even tried the latest version of Xmpeg (was using 4.2a and 4.5 before) but still same result.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

here is an older gordianknot guide i have written quite some time ago.

(nowadays i prefer DVX over any other tool)

you should be able to use LANCZOS in gk in recent versions, which is my one and only choice!

Comment

Working...