Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wwszeto
    • Dec 2001

merging audio stream to video using virtualdub

I have a divx video file and am trying to merge an audio stream in wav format back to the video using virtualdub 1.4.7. I selected a mp3 compressior (48Khz, stereo, same as the wav file), but Virtualdub gives me the error "the selected conversion is not possible". So I played around with the audio conversion and manually selected sampling rate 48Khz there. Vb starts merging the video and audio streams but it crashes after a minute or so. I have tried it many times and it crashes at the exact same location. I ever tried the same procedure on another computer, same result. Does anyone have any ideas what's wrong? Also is there any other tools that can merge video and audio streams together?
  • DivZ
    • Jan 2002

try this:

1. open your video with virtualdub

2. choose video....direct stream copy

3. choose audio....wav audio...and select the wav file you want to merge.

4. audio....full processing mode....

5. audio....compression.....mpeg layer-3.....and select your desired audio bitrate (128kbits is ok)

6. audio....conversion....no change..no change..no change.

then F7 should do it.

there are other tools that can do this too, but i virtual dub has been the most efficient for me.
    hope this helps
    a little bit is better than nada.
    sometimes you want the whole enchilada.

Comment

• wwszeto
      • Dec 2001

thats what i did

Thanks for the reply, but that's exactly what I did and that's what caused virtualdub to give me the 'the selected conversion can not be performed' message (even if i don't touch the audio converison panel). What other tools are available for merging video (divx) and audio (wav or mp3) together?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Sounds to me as if you don't have a legitimate Uncompressed PCM 48,000 .WAV file. Did you create the .WAV file yourself? if so, please state the format of the original source audio and what procedures you employed to create the .WAV file. You may have actually created an MP3 file with a .WAV header or an AC3 file with a WAV header.

Comment

• wwszeto
          • Dec 2001

used FlasKMPEG to create the audio file

I used FlaskMPEG 0.6 to create the wave file from a .vob file. In FlaskMPEG, Run->"Extract Audio to .wav".

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

That 's an appropriate method and should yield a good .WAV file. Does the DivX-format .AVI file already include an audio stream? If so, this may be the cause of your difficulty. If this is the case, load the .AVI into VDub and under "Audio" select "No audio" - and save the silent .AVI with a new name.
            Exit VDub and then restart it.
            Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copy". Set "Audio" to "Full Processing mode".
            Load the silent .AVI.
            From the "Audio" dropdown, select "WAV audio" and load your .WAV audio file.
            Still under "Audio":
            A) Click on "Conversion" and select "44,100"
            B) Click on "Compression" and select "MP3" and one of the 44,100 options listed

File>>Save as Avi (create a new name)

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• wwszeto
              • Dec 2001

no success

Hi, I tried your suggestion by ensuring that the video file is silent and then add the wav audio file in virtualdub, but the resulting file has no audio. I notice that the resulting file is the same size as the silent video file (both 126mb). So obviously audio is not even added to the silent video file. I've tried changing the audio sampling frequency to 48khz, 44khz (and matching the frequency in the mp3 compression), but no success. I've tried playing the wav file and it is ok. Any other suggestions? Any other tools that can do video/audio merging?

Comment

Working...