Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonas
    • Oct 2003

Burning AVI Files

I have a few downloaded avi files that i wish to copy onto a DVD. All the films will play fine but when i try to open them with VirtualDub or TMPGEnc i get the error response: "cannot open or unsupported".
    Hope someone can help. Thank You.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Do you wish to simply copy the .AVIs to DVD, or do you wish to convert them to DVD format?

1) Load the original video file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• jonas
      • Oct 2003

When i try to load the avi files into VirtualDub i get the response 'couldnt locate decompressor for format DX50(unknown) or 'couldnt locate decompressor for format MP43 (Microsoft high-speed MPEG-4 V3.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

I ask again, do you wish to simply copy the .AVIs to DVD, or do you wish to convert them to DVD format?

The two examples you've provided indicate that you have to download and install a DivX v.5.xx video codec and the original Microsoft MPEG-4 codec - both of which are in the many codec "packs" available for download...

Comment

• jonas
          • Oct 2003

Sorry Setarip, I would like to simply copy the Avi's to DVD. Did'nt mean to be ignorant. Thank You for your help.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"I would like to simply copy the Avi's to DVD"

If that's the case, you have no reason to concern yourself with VurtualDub or TMPGEnc. All you have to do is use a burning program (such as NERO) to burn a "Data DVD" ("DVD-ROM [ISO]" in NERO)...

Comment

• jonas
              • Oct 2003

Well that certainly simplifies things. Thanks....till the next problem.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"Thanks"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...