Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juxsa
    • Jun 2002

High FSB is whats needed.

I have been encoding movies with DivX over a year now. The one thing I have noticed is that a high FSB will encode a video then a high CPU speed. For instance I am running a FSB of 440mhz with my cpu speed at 2200mhz. I encode movies with flask 0.79 at about 50fps. My FSB used to be at 200mhz with my CPU riningin at 2400mhz. and it only encoded at 40fps. Just though I would put my two cents in.
  • BRTACAN2
    • Sep 2003

I think you may be a little confused about FSB. No AMD or Intel CPU can run a 440MHz FSB. Common FSB speeds can run between a snail paced stock 133MHz and up to a smokin' overclocked 275MHz or slightly better using extremely good memory sticks. AMD FSBs are double-pumped and Intel FSBs are quad pumped, which often causes confusion about the base FSB speed.

Regardless, you are correct. Overclocking your FSB will "raise the speed limit" of the data stream between your CPU and memory. That will give you nice speed gains on practically all tasks. I wouldn't think of not overclocking when rendering avi's - you get things done faster or can add AviSynth filters with the same rendering time.

Be careful. Keep a close eye on your CPU and system temperature, case airflow and cleaning is important, lock you PCI bus speed at its default before overclocking and stress test your bios setup for stability. If you're not setup isnt' stable when overclocked and sometimes crash a rendering, your not saving yourself any time. Consider watercooling and conservative bumps to your CPU voltage if you want to max your FSB and stay stable.

Most folks around here are afraid to overclock. I'm not one of them. I run a watercooled P4 2.66GHz at 3.2GHz with no problem - saves me 15 to 20% in rendering time. Good luck and be careful... the CPU/motherboard you save may be your own.

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

"Most folks around here are afraid to overclock."

Presumably because the majority of folks who overclock play games and hence frequent gaming and hardware (particularly with an Overclocking section) forums more. The people here are generally interested in playing and creating movie files. Wrenching the last drop of performance from their system is not a dire necessity.

Regards.

Comment

• juxsa
        • Jun 2002

Originally posted by BRTACAN2
        I think you may be a little confused about FSB. No AMD or Intel CPU can run a 440MHz FSB. Common FSB speeds can run between a snail paced stock 133MHz and up to a smokin' overclocked 275MHz or slightly better using extremely good memory sticks. AMD FSBs are double-pumped and Intel FSBs are quad pumped, which often causes confusion about the base FSB speed.

Regardless, you are correct. Overclocking your FSB will "raise the speed limit" of the data stream between your CPU and memory. That will give you nice speed gains on practically all tasks. I wouldn't think of not overclocking when rendering avi's - you get things done faster or can add AviSynth filters with the same rendering time.

Be careful. Keep a close eye on your CPU and system temperature, case airflow and cleaning is important, lock you PCI bus speed at its default before overclocking and stress test your bios setup for stability. If you're not setup isnt' stable when overclocked and sometimes crash a rendering, your not saving yourself any time. Consider watercooling and conservative bumps to your CPU voltage if you want to max your FSB and stay stable.

Most folks around here are afraid to overclock. I'm not one of them. I run a watercooled P4 2.66GHz at 3.2GHz with no problem - saves me 15 to 20% in rendering time. Good luck and be careful... the CPU/motherboard you save may be your own.

Oh I know that the FSB isn't 440mhz and that it is really only 220mhz but I also know that it is a common mistake and I just say screw it. Instead of trying to explain it to some one I will go along and say that the double pumped fsb is the true fsb. I also have a watercooled setup and I am using an Nforce2 board so lucky for me my pci, agp, and ide bus speeds are locked automaticly.
        So did you experiance the same thing when overclocking your cpu? Did a high FSB help more then high clockspeed in your rendering time?

Comment

• dpresv
          • Oct 2003

hi there!

i just upgraded my system replacing my 2400 athlon with 2500 and VIA KT333 with VIA KT600 mobo BUT i don't see any difference at all.

since FSB plays such a crucial role why can't i see any difference? the FSB of my older system was 266MHz and now it is 333MHz.
          also the old 2400, thoroughbred core CPU, had only 256k L2 cache while the new 2500, barton core CPU, has 512k L2 cache. i was expecting a 10-15% increase in performance but...nothing.

does anyone know why is that? i thought it could be my ram that is 266 ddr, not 333 as the cpu-chipset FSB. is it holding the wole system back? anyway, through the bios i set the ram frequency to 333MHz.

thanx

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

As far as I am concerned, what really matters in encoding speed is pure CPU speed. FSB might play some significant role here, but I believe more in CPU speed.

In your case, there does not seem to be much increase in CPU speed (I might be wrong since I am not familiar with AMD's ambiguous 'performance rating'). Hence increase in encoding performance can be expected to be minimal.

Cheers.

Comment

• juxsa
              • Jun 2002

Originally posted by dpresv
              hi there!

i just upgraded my system replacing my 2400 athlon with 2500 and VIA KT333 with VIA KT600 mobo BUT i don't see any difference at all.

since FSB plays such a crucial role why can't i see any difference? the FSB of my older system was 266MHz and now it is 333MHz.
              also the old 2400, thoroughbred core CPU, had only 256k L2 cache while the new 2500, barton core CPU, has 512k L2 cache. i was expecting a 10-15% increase in performance but...nothing.

does anyone know why is that? i thought it could be my ram that is 266 ddr, not 333 as the cpu-chipset FSB. is it holding the wole system back? anyway, through the bios i set the ram frequency to 333MHz.

thanx

That could be your problem. You should try and sell your ddr255 and get some ddr333. With you mem and your fsb running at diferent speeds i actually bet your current setup runs slower then when you had your 2400 in it.

Comment

Working...