X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deco
    • Dec 2003

Colour Depth Problems

Hi !
    I´m using Gordian Knot to convert some DVDs to X-vid, but the problem is colour depth.
    The conversion works fine, but the final colour on .avi file only was generated as 12 bits. I´d like x-vids with 24 bits colour...
    What´s wrong ?
    note: my desktop colour is 32bits.

Tks =)
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

"The conversion works fine, but the final colour on .avi file only was generated as 12 bits. I´d like x-vids with 24 bits colour..."

I gather you found this out by right-clicking on the video file -> Properties -> Summary tab -> Video sample size?

If so, theoretical assumptions aside, do you see anything wrong with the colour of the XviD-compressed video during playback?

Regards.

Comment

• deco
      • Dec 2003

I´m using a program to see this informations ...called avi "Yet another avi info". the videos that i download from internet shows 24bits, only videos that I convert are 12bits ...
      About video quality I don´t see any problem, but why this happens ?

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

"About video quality I don´t see any problem"

So why be concerned about all those theoretical findings, when everything is practically well?

Regards.

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

I checked some of my files and did find quite a number of videos with 12-bits sample size (and some of them were strangely '24-bits', keeping in mind they were done the same way with the rest). On playback, they are all excellent and I really can find no fault with the '12-bits' videos.

I did a quick test on creating videos with different video sample sizes. Frameserving with Avisynth and setting VDMod to 'Fast Recompress' resulted in 12-bits frame size. Frameserving likewise and setting VDMod to 'Normal Recompress' resulted in 24-bits frame size. To be honest, I spotted no difference between the two files (and they turned out to be of the same filesize).

Perhaps I might see a difference in the future (when I can do further tests and spend more time examining with more critical eyes), or perhaps never (simply because there is realistically nothing to be concerned about).

Regards.

Comment

• deco
            • Dec 2003

yeh, u are sure about quality question, I see no difference both files, but a question is why this is happen. If I used others encoders like Xmpeg, it don´t occured. Guardian knot is recomended by sites like divx-digest and doom9 being the best encoder for divx and x-vid videos ... I think that there is an special config under guardian knot to set up it ... maybe someone knows where I can find it ...
            By the way, TKS for help !

Regards...

deco

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

You're welcome.

Comment

Working...