Mystery continues - maybe bug in the Xvid codec?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blbyspidla
    • Jan 2004

Mystery continues - maybe bug in the Xvid codec?

This will be a little tough to explain but I'll try. From the middle of my source I encoded 50 frames. Using VirtualDubMod I selected range of frames 10000 - 10050. I made 3 files: an original DVD unprocessed stream, DivX (5.11) video and Xvid (Koepi 1.0 Beta 3) video. As I wanted the video to start with the same frame I had to use for the Xvid codec selection 10001 - 10051.
    Then I compared individual frames and set the RIGHT order (I wanted to find out to which frame corresponds frames from the Xvid video). First line is Xvid, second original, third DivX

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 48 ---
    4 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 48 49
    4 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 48 49

in words: frame number 0 in Xvid corresponds to frame number 4 of the original DVD. Frame 1 in Xvid to frame 1 in DVD. and so on and so forth

For fun I tried Koepi's Beta 1 and the result is as follows:

Xvid: 0 1 2 3 4
    dvd: 2 1 2 3 4

Does anyone know what is going on?

I can post here screenshots of the first frame of the video files and you will see that they are completely different! But just the first. Then it is OK.
  • decryptit
    • Jan 2004

Bug please put in mond that Xvid is still beta.Stick to divx.
    Total Number Of Views
    Decryptit

The Decrypter

Comment

• zx50
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Aug 2003

Nothing wrong with XviD, although it can't be expected to run perfectly on all machines. How do you not know that it's the computer that's doing it.

P.S i think if it was XviD then not many people would bother with it, but it seems to be a popular codec. The one i run is XviD 1.0 RC1. (unless that's not a beta)
      Computer Fanatic

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

I use xvid all the time and nothing wrong with it. If you check at www.doom9.org their is a test of all mpeg4 codecs and xvid is the all around winner.

Comment

Working...