whats the best program to add mp3 to AVI?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • borat
    • Feb 2004

whats the best program to add mp3 to AVI?

i converted an MPG to DIVX file with DIVX pro 5.1.1, but the mpeg was de-multiplexed before conversion, so my new AVI has no sound, but i have the sound, only under a seperate file.

so whats the best free program that can combine the soundless AVI and the MP3 stream???

i know the answer is already here, but i tried looking and searching to no avail...
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

avi-mux gui might help:

of course virtualdubMOD is capable of muxing sound streams to your avi as well

Comment

• Evil Henchman
      • Nov 2003

I recommend using VirtualDub. It's the best avi editor there is and will let you add your mp3 sound to your avi file.

Comment

• borat
        • Feb 2004

alright, ive got VirtualD 1.5.10, and i see where i can add an external WAV file as the audio stream (Audio -> WAV audio) but is there anyway to add an mp3 file to the vid? i know i can simply convert the mp3 to wav then add it, but i'd rather just add the mp3, since im just gonna recompress it again anyway. the whole idea of de-multiplexing the original MPG was to avoid processing the audio since FlaskMpeg has issues with MP3 and unnecessarily uncompressing and recompressing the audio is only asking for it to worsen. oh well, i'll try de and recomping the sound. its not like its so complicated that its guaranteed to ruin the sound, but i think you might know what my worries are...

let me know if you have any thoughts, and thank for the feedback so far

EDIT: i wasnt using TMPEG Enc to convert the vid, sorry for the slander!
        Last edited by borat; 16 Mar 2004, 12:30 AM.

Comment

• Evil Henchman
          • Nov 2003

The newer FlaskMPEG does indeed have issues with mp3 sound but the older one (version 0.594) does not. That version has worked flawlessly for me when converting DVD movies to DivX AVIs. I have the FHG-Radium MP3 codec installed so Flask just uses it. The only problem is the volume is really, really low. To fix that I open the avi file in Sound Forge 6, highlight the entire audio track and raise the volume by at least 300% then save the avi file. As fas as adding the MP3 audio file to the DivX avi video file without re or decompressing the audio... sorry, I don't know of a program that will do that but I'm sure they're out there... unless Sound Forge will do it. Which it just might now that I think about it. Try Sound Forge 6.x I think it'll work but since I haven't tried it, no garauntees.

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

flask has never been a good choice especially not for sound conversion

in virtualdubMOD (MOD!) open your avi, then go to streams => streamlist => ADD

you will be able to add mp3 or other audiostreams

make sure to set video to direct stream and save to new file

Comment

• Evil Henchman
              • Nov 2003

Note to self: Must get VirtualDubMod... asuming it's different from VirtualDubMPEG which I already have.

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

it is different and it is the better version

Comment

• Evil Henchman
                  • Nov 2003

Ok, downloaded and installed it. Very nice.

Comment

Working...