X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Neophyte70
    • Feb 2002

Ogg to Avi

hey guys,

I have "the others" as ogg here. it's an dvd rip in english, I'm german so I want to put a german audiostream in it.

I've tried to demux the movie with all kind of tools, but it doesn't work. I always get an error message that the file is unreadable/the format is unknown.

I don't know why it doesn't work! nandub is ogg muxable but not demuxable I think. graphedit works, but only with reencoding. I hope anybody knows how to demux it without reencoding.

I thought ogg is "only" an audio format, but in some way it changes the whole video (avi) format.

That is not so good for people who want's to convert that kind of movies in (S)VCD.

THX
    greetz from germany
    Neo, who hopes his english is readable

PS: I know there is a german subforum but I realized that english/english speaking people have more experience with ogg.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

First of all, your command of English is quite acceptable.

As far as I know, Ogg Vorbis is presently exclusively an audio codec (although the homepage refers to the eventual development of a video codec as well).

You haven't stated whether you are able to PLAY the downloaded file.

Are you CERTAIN that it is truly in .AVI format? If so, try running VirtualDub and before loading the video, set "Audio" to "No audio". If VirtualDub accepts the file, first select "File information" from the "File" dropdown menu and post the information here (I'm personally curious), then set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying" and save the file with a new filename.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Neophyte70
      • Feb 2002

thank you for your answer

the ogg vorbis codec is installed and the file is playable with all software players I have tested, and it looks like SBC encoded

I think the encoder wrote, that after the muxing the *.avi was renamed to *.ogg and he just renamed it again back to *.avi to play it directly with WMP

my installed aviinfo says that there are no infos about the file!
      no video-editing tool can load it (nandub, vdub, adobe premiere, aist moviexone...), they all give an error message that the file format is unknown

the only program that works is graphedit, there I can demux both, the video and the audiostream
      firstly I was really happy that it works, but after the demuxing the videofile (without sound) isn't readable again with all editing tools

the only thing I could do is to reencode the file in graphedit, but there must be another way, a backdoor

thank you for your support, because this problem drives me crazy
      Last edited by Neophyte70; 13 Feb 2002, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

As far as renaming the extension, you do realize that there's another possibility, don't you? It could actually be an MPEG file! If you've got Windows Media player v.6.4 available to you, while the video is running in it, rightclick in the middle of the video image and select "Properties" Click on the "Advanced" tab. There you'll see all of the codecs used to create the video.

If that suggestion should prove fruitless and this is that frustrating to you, here's an outlandish suggestion:

If you have video out and video in capability, send it out to VHS videotape - and then capture from tape. You'll undoubtedly lose some quality, but at least you'll have a flexible file with which to deal ;>}

Comment

• fraggi
          • Dec 2001

Could you tell me Neo which filters you used to extract the ogg audio and video files because it happened to me with a Movie I downloaded and it happened to happen OGG vorbis audio filter. I couldnt edit it with virtual dub nor with nandub.

And i want to make an SVCD from it.

THX !

Comment

Working...