Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leinad37
    • Jun 2004

AVI is jerky after encoding

I seem to have a problem when encoding a dvd file to an avi file. Each time i do it and play it back, there are parts that are jerky (mainly the parts where there is fast motion). I am using the divx 5.1.1 codec and have the setting set to standard and the bitrate at 530 Kbps. Can anyone help me figure out how to fix this issue.

Thanks
    Dan
  • reboot
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2004

Increase the bitrate a LOT. 530 is only half of vcd bitrate (1150). If you want a decent quality rip, you're going to need 1500 or higher. I rip using 6000kbps.
    My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• ziadost
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

you may be doing only a single pass encode... to get a decent quality video, you should do 2 or 3 pass encode, and increase the bitrate to at least 800kbps. check out the guides at http://www.divx-digest.com

btw, i recommend xvid rather than divx

good luck
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• leinad37
        • Jun 2004

actually, i figured it out by myself. Ends up i needed to encode it having a frame rate of 29.997 fps instead of 23.997. Once i changed that, the video was running smoothly. Oh and the reason i have the bitrate that low is because it's only 45 minutes and i want the size of the file to be 1/3 of a CD so i can fit 3 to it. The quality is actually superb. I was having quality problems but i figured the problem was the resolution i was setting it at (720x480). Once i set it to a lower resolution (352x240), the quality increased dramatically and the encoding process was faster. Thanks for your help though.

Dan

Comment

Working...