Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snake plissken
    • Jan 2002

avi on dvd-r

i want ot put avi on dvd-r and have it play in my dvd player do i have to change it to mpeg or something do get it to work?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Standalone DVD players cannot (as yet) play .AVI files.

(So you've escaped from New York yet again, eh? ;>} )

Comment

• snake plissken
      • Jan 2002

can i do anything with it besides using it on my puter what do you mean stand alone dvd player i have one that plays dvd-r does that help

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Standalone" is a reference to a player that you hook up to your television (as opposed to one that is used as part of your computer system).

You can convert the file to VCD (Video CD) or SVCD (SuperVideo CD) format and burn them to CD-Rs or R/W CDs. Your standalone player MAY be able to play these.

Others may be able to advise you regarding the possibility of burning VCDs and/or SVCDs to DVD-Rs.

Comment

• CrazyLegsMC
          DivX GOD
          • Nov 2001

If you convert your movies to Mpeg-2 and burn it to a DVD-R you should be able to play them in your DVD just fine.

because thats what the DVD's play that you rent or buy.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To CrazyLegsMC

You are incorrect. Although the DVDs contain files that fall within the general family of MPEG2 format, "plain vanilla" MPEG2s will not play on a standalone DVD player. Such a player MAY play a properly structured burned writeable DVD (including 'IFO files, which contain the "directions", regarding audio and video foramt and layout, for the player to follow. Such a player MAY also play burned CD-R or R/W CD VCDs (MPEG1-format family) and SVCDs (MPEG2-format family), each of which must be specially created and burned. Lastly, not all standalone players play all/some/any of these formats or burned (as opposed to commercial) media.

Comment

Working...