X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bensboss8
    • Jun 2004

Codecs for VirtualDub and TMPGEnc

Help me knowledgeable ones,

When I try to extract the audio from a DivX file using VirtualDub, it complains that it requires a VFW compatible codec - not the codec used by Media Player to play the DivX track.
    I get similar grumbles from TMPGEnc when I try to encode - it says that the format of my DivX is unsupported.
    I have little experience with format conversion but have successfully converted DivX to vcd in the past, using these two applications. However, since then, I've upgraded my PC inc new install on a new drive. My previous system was untidy with all sorts of codecs (I can't remember which ones and would have to download them again if I could).
    Don't want to repost this under XVid but am I right in assuming there would be similar problems converting XVid? .... and similar solutions?

I am running an AMD 3.0GHz cpu 333FSB with 512 RAM and a Maxtor 160GB SATA drive.

Any help much appreciated.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

In order to determine which codec(s) you need for a particular .AVI, you should do the following:

1) Load the original video file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• bensboss8
      • Jun 2004

Thanks for the response setarip but I think I've fixed it - much surfing and searching 'till the early hours.
      For VirtualDub I downloaded and installed Panasonic DV codec (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...c_DV_Codec.htm)
      For TMPGEnc, I went to Options, Environmental Settings, VFAPI Plugin then right clicked Direct Show and increased its priority to +2.
      Hey Presto!! Two Divx files converted to VCD with no complaints from either application.

Hope I've done the right things and this is of use to others.

Comment

Working...