• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Easier Way?
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Jan 2003

1 pass quality+n pass settings?

Sorry if this is obvious; I'm getting nowhere on this.

When doing 1 pass quality (with a log) TV capture, followed by n pass compressions using DivX 5.1 (not pro); how should I name or rename the n-pass files? The DivX guide warns not to let the n-pass file overwrite the original capture file. Does the original 1 pass quality log file work with renames?

When I tried to start the first n-pass I get an error from virtual dub "unable to start video compresion error: bad format (-2)"

I was never really sure of names/renames using DivX4. 2 pass encoding.

Also can I omit deinterlacing or any other slowing processes during intermediate n-passes?

Thanks as always.
    Last edited by Easier Way?; 31 Aug 2004, 04:58 AM.
  • guada
    • Jun 2004

Hello,

Information

Mode 1-pass encodes your video in vrb, you enter a middle bitrate and another maxi (10000) and the codec is going to make fluctuate always it according to the famous low and fast-motion,ce fashion gives good fast results

Mode 1-pass quality-based is the one that gives the best quality, to use on video without limitation of media because it is impossible to define a final size of file

Mode Multipass,1st pass and nth pass are those that one uses for the best possible quality.

To answer your question:

For the Multipass, 1 st pass,:
    - puts the calculated middle bitrate (for example GordianKnot) and you validate Write MV spins

For the profile:
    - Home Heater for reading on player
    - activates GMC, Bidirectional Encoding and Quarter pixel (so bitrate superior to 1200 kbps)

General Parameters:
    - Key max frame interval (250 / 25fs or 300 30fs)
    - Scene change threscold (0% for the scenes of actions, nevertheless the size risks to be bigger, 100% respect of the value 250 but dead end on the scenes fast to the detriment of fluidity and the quality).
    Keep the value to 50%.
    - Performance/quality: Slowest
    - Source interlace: Encode have progressive

Multipas, nth pass,

2 possible choices:
    - you don't nick "Update log spins" and you keep your middle bitrate and you put the maxi to 10000 kpbs, then you pass to the next stage,
    - you want to make one "multitudes of pass" example 3 passes, although 2 passes are sufficient amply.
    Then you validate "Update log therefore spins" to optimize the file.log

For more explanations Official Divx Guide:
    DVFOREVER.COM - Contact us for any business inquiries

Important note: The codec Divx 5.1 is slower than the codec Divx 5.05

Comment

• Easier Way?
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Jan 2003

Bon Jour Guada.

Thanks for your reply, I found the guide you described.

I was using the DivX 5.2 guide with 5.1 as my 5.2 pro trial version timed out after only 3 hours. The "Your 5.2 pro 6 months are up" error report prevents me from using either 5.2 pro or 5.2 so I had to remove DivX and reinstall 5.1.

I did not edit or crop the capture before trying n-pass compression in virtual dub.

I wanted to use 1 pass quality at from 93 to 100% quality, to get high quality TV capture with the option to do a n-pass compression of anything I wanted to keep. I assume this would avoid the lossy effect of doing a DivX capture followed by a seperate 2 pass DivX compression.

Has any one got this to workwith 5.1?

Comment

• guada
        • Jun 2004

You challenge me.
        Say me, why use not VDM with the codec huffyuv.
        Watch here, conceal will give you a small idea:

These are 2 guides of big clarity and an approach very mastered.

In first:
        Ars Technica. Power users and the tools they love, without computing religion. Oh yeah, did we mention we are unassailable computing enthusiasts.

Secondly:

Note: sorry for the Divx, but I think that if you wish to get the quality these guides will be sufficient to you amply.

To soon

Comment

• Easier Way?
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Jan 2003

Thanks very much, I found and installed DivX 5.05 and I have just done a 1 pass quality capture and 2 n-pass compressions and the quality is magnificent. I have dvd like quality at 720X576 at 25 frames per second, the bit rate is 15 Mb per minute and the n passes gave me a compression size of 1/3 of the original.

I was using DivX for capture as it gives a very smooth picture at high bit rates. It is free from any box pixel effects which I found in mpeg 1/2.

I will look up huffy and the guides you mentioned. Your help is very much appreciated, merci beaucoup!!

Comment

• guada
            • Jun 2004

Bonsoir,

Ce n'est souvent que l'on fait la connaissance d'un "irlandais" qui parle le français.

Don't hesitate to give me of news.
            A très bientôt

Comment

• zx50
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Aug 2003

@Easier Way? if you want a 4:3 ratio, then try and make a resolution of something in the region of between 720x530-44. 720x576 isn't a proper aspect ratio for 4:3.
              Computer Fanatic

Comment

• Easier Way?
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Jan 2003

Hi zx50.

Maybe that is why my leadtek capture card (good and cheap) allows a setting of 768X576. I suppose it offers full capture of the vertical resolution (pal) with an undistorted horizontal capture?

I wonder if any of our American friends who have HDTV use the 640 X480 setting? It might be different with ntsc but I always find a better picture with 720 or 704X576.

U any relation to my first computer, the Sinclair zx81? It had a speed of 2Mhz in live picture mode and 1 K memory.

Guada I did French to "O level" (age 14). I got a grade 9 which I think is between 0 and 11%. My vocabulary is pretty much exausted. Bon Chance.

Comment

• zx50
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Easier Way?
                  Hi zx50.

U any relation to my first computer, the Sinclair zx81? It had a speed of 2Mhz in live picture mode and 1 K memory.
                  Ha,ha no i have a bit more than that.
                  Computer Fanatic

Comment

Working...