X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisredfield_0
    • Feb 2003

Encoding Time and Resolution

Hi!

I would like to encode a 45 min film using Xvid at AS @L5 unsing single pass and 720x576 resolution...

But it would take 10 hours for encoding with an P4 2,53GHz and FlaskMPEG 0.59.. Is this normal?
    Do you use a smaller resolution? what resolution do you use for high quality movies?

tia
  • ziadost
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

flaskmpeg is just a VERY VERY slow, and relatively low quality, encoder and yes, 720x576 is much too high a resolution, unless your bitrate is very very high... but resolution should not really affect encoding times

in my opinion, use "gordian knot".... it gives absolute BEST results when doing dvd---> divx/xvid encoding... this guide will show you how to do it step-by-step

digital, digest, dvd, divx, dvdr, dvd+r, dvd-r, rip, copy, ripping, convert, backup, back, up, shrink, xvid, software, download, news, guide, article

you'll be encoding like a pro in no time
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• zx50
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ziadost
      but resolution should not really affect encoding times
      Well it depends on what software you use. If you use DVDx like myself then if you go for something like 720x412 then you can expect to wait a bit for your encode to finsh.
      Computer Fanatic

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

Ten hours for 45 minutes is way to long. I get almost 1:1 time with my P4 1.7. Are you using filters that can be very time consuming?

Comment

• zx50
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Aug 2003

Yeah well they are using flask though, this program does take ages to encode. And it will only let you encode at a certain bitrate , which i find frustrating.
          Computer Fanatic

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

my tool of choice is DVX

Comment

Working...