X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imtrobin
    • Sep 2004

Encode using mp42

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone uses VirtualDub to encode MS Mpeg4-2 mp42 avi files? In the codec compression dialog, there is a data rate slider bar to specify the bitrate rate. Whatever bitrate I choose above 1000kbps , the output file is always at the same bitrate (~900kbps)

I want to encode this file at a higher bitrate with this format. Any advice?
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

the ms v2 codec was fine - a couple of years back

in your case it sounds like a saturated film; i.e. no more bitrate is needed

if at all you could decreases the keyframe interval which should increase size (and sometimes quality)

but i'd rather use xvid/divx if i were you!

Comment

• imtrobin
      • Sep 2004

Wow... reducing the keyframe interval indeed increased the bitrate to 1300 kbps. However it's still below what the desired bitrate of 2K.

The file I'm encoding is my own created avi. Previously I also used vdub to encode the file at 1800 kbps. Visually, it is definitely sharper. I made some changes to the avi and formatted my system, and now I cannot get it to encode at higher bitrate.

I like to use use divx/xvid due but cannot to licensing issues.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

like i said, sooner or later the file will be fully saturated and no higher bitrate will be used

reducing the kf interval to every 1 sec should be all you can do

talking about licensing: what about wmv 9 then?

Comment

• imtrobin
          • Sep 2004

I was hoping the codec was supposed to specify the bitrate like divx/xvid

Can't play wmv files. Only avi and mpg.

Comment

Working...