X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sketchy
    • Dec 2004

xvid conversion for standalone dvd viewing

Hi,
    I want to convert some files from the xvid codec into something that i can view on a standalone dvd player. What software is reccomended to do this?
    Any help appreciated
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (XviD-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
    (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• sketchy
      • Dec 2004

Cheers setarip, just completed my first conversion, much easier than i expected. However, i do have a bit of a problem, the mpg version when played does not have sound. What could be the reason for this?
      Thanks again

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

What application are you playing it in?
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• sketchy
          • Dec 2004

i've tryed playing it in winamp, media player classic and windows media player.

Comment

• sketchy
            • Dec 2004

Has no one had this problem before? If anyone has a solution or knows what i have done wrong, please post. I've since tried encoding again to to no avail.
            Cheers

Comment

• kebabinho
              • Feb 2004

did you select sound and video convertion in tmpgenc plus? did it output the siund and video as one file or two? if it is two you have to load both files in mediaplayer classic

Comment

Working...