X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JAG609
    • Nov 2001

encoding for slower computer

Problems: jittery playback & auido/video out of sync

I am operating at 700mhz with 128 sdram. I use smart ripper then go directly to flask. I use "2pass" with 1000K bitrate at 720x480 resolution. When I am done, windows media player has "statistics" i view - it says it is skipping hundreds of frames which I think accounts for the jittery playback. I know the problem is not playback because my DVD viewing program plays them from my DVD-ROM just fine. What can I do to make it encode right? Any hekp would be appreciated...

-JAG609
  • virtualXTC
    • Mar 2002

try using "the playa" ( www.divex.com ) instead of media player - but I really don't know....

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

...at 720x480 resolution...
      The resolution is too high to be comfortably playable on a 700MHz system. Try reducing it to 640x480, 512x384, etc. (Keeping the aspect ratio). You should still be pleased with the result, one of them being there less likely to be macroblocks and (in my opinion) more vivid (or not so dull) video.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Just as an experiment, try the following:

Load your .AVI into VirtualDub.

Set both "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying"

Under the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Interleaving". Make certain there is a checkmark in the box next to "Enable audio/video interleaving".

Save the file with a new filename.

Comment

• JAG609
          • Nov 2001

not resolved

After the virtual dub, the file has the same problems...

I can play a DVD straight my my DVD-ROM and it plays fine---so why would it be my playback (supposodley requires reduction in resolution).....I still think it's my processor speed during encoding

could the high resolution be the reason for bad encoding and not playback? Preferable solution is something wherew quality would not be decreased, the process just might take longer...

Any further suggestions would be appreciated

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"windows media player has "statistics" i view - it says it is skipping hundreds of frames which I think accounts for the jittery playback"

If you're using a newer version (7.xxx-8.xxx) of the Windows Media Player, try installing (you don't have to uninstall anything) the older v.6.4, which has lower overhead requirements - and for which DivX v.3.11alpha was SPECIFICALLY designed to play properly with.

Comment

• JAG609
              • Nov 2001

I am using 4.12 divx codec....

Comment

Working...