Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alexbpm
    • Mar 2002

Extracting AC3 from divx file

Hi Guys, I downloaded a divx4 movie with AC3 and I'm having trouble extracting the audio. I need to burn this movie to VCD like I do all my divx files, but this particular file is AC3 which is no good for me because of the limitations of VCD of course.

The file plays fine and sounds great in WMP and The Playa ever since I installed the nimo codec pack (InterVideo audio codec to be precise). And I tried to "save to wav" in VirtualDub AC3 but the extracted wav file sounds terribly choppy and just plain bad. The funny thing is when I check the file properties in VirtualDub, it does show 5 stereo channels but the compression says "unknown (tag2000)".

I ususually dont need to do this since most the movies I download are in 2 channel stereo. I've been searching the net for 3 days straight on this subject and all the guides on doing this assume you have ripped a DVD or you're working with VOB files. Can anyone please reccomend a program that will allow me to Extract the AC3 from the divx file so I can convert it and finally burn it to VCD! Or am I doing something wrong in VirtualDub? I'm willing to try anything. THANKS!!!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Load the .AVI file into VDUB1.4C-AC3, setting "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying" and select (under "File") "Save .WAV/.AC3" - and save as .AC3 (IMPERATIVE to save as .AC3! - .WAV does NOT save properly). Then cut off WAV header (000-02D).

By the way, the "Tag2000" is the identifier for .AC3 - and is "unknown" to the "real" VirtualDub. The AC3-modified version is merely an unauthorized hack of the original...

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• alexbpm
      • Mar 2002

Thanks but that's the process I tried initially which resulted in EXTREMELY choppy sound. Keep in mind the audio sounds great when played back with WMP or The Playa...but when extracted using the process you just described its no good. Any other programs I could try? Thank you again

Comment

• alexbpm
        • Mar 2002

Ohh wait...I get it, I was'nt saving as ".ac3" . Works Great. THANKS

Comment

Working...