Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Echo147
    • Nov 2001

Freeze frames in re-encodes (repost)

Four months on, and my problem went away but is coming back into 1 in every 2 recompresses - it looks like these forums have picked up a lot more users since November 2001, so I was hoping for any further suggestions on the issue. See below for original post.

---------------------------------
    I've had a very frustrating issue related to divx for the last few weeks. The problem arises when using virtualdub to recompress an avi using the low motion divx 3.11 codec. The result always contains corrupt frames, even though the source avi was perfect.

I've tried almost everthing to cure it - from reinstalling the codec to even reinstalling Windows 2000 and downloading virtualdub again, the same happens. I'm beginning to think its a hardware issue but I've not added anything new recently.

Another strange thing is, if I use fast motion 3.11, the result is fine - no corrupt frames at all... I'm completely baffled.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    ---------------------------------
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Would be a good thing if you share with us your settings so that we can all have a look at what's happening.

On the other hand, you might like to use the SBC encoder nandub. It basically makes use of the 3.11a codec, but in a smarter way (Variable bitrate).

Comment

• Echo147
      • Nov 2001

Settings.. not much to tell really. Tried all the following resulting in the same freeze-frames:
      - any bitrate using the low motion codec
      - any source resolution
      - both standard and vbr mp3 audio sources
      - any version of virtualdub
      - nandub (to answer your question)

Hardware is an Abit KG7, Athlon TB 1400, 512MB DDR, GeForce 3 Ti200 gfx.

Cheers

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Corrupt as in freeze frames?

Comment

• Echo147
          • Nov 2001

Yes, unreadable frames in the output result. Freeze in media player, or decompression failure when looking at it in virtualdub.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Never had this before, so can't really elaborate.

Try running DivFix with it, or enabling the anti-freeze feature in nandub. Perhaps, also, you were using too low a bitrate? If I remember correctly, the resolution of the video has to be in multiples of 16.

Comment

• Echo147
              • Nov 2001

Yep, I've made sure on the source resolution - a fairly common 640x352 resolution still ends up with ff

Also tried many different bitrates as I mentioned.

Thanks for the replies

Comment

Working...