Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Syk0
    • Mar 2005

skips(sorry for that)

i used dvd santa to convert a divx file into a dvd.. everything went ok... burned right . until i played t.... it started out ok but later it started to skip and go into further parts of the movie............ it took about 2 hours to convert the file to dvd with the program dvdsanta and i just want to know if its the program that ripped it bad or can it be due to extreme use of my cpu % while burning that could of created these skips on the disc.... sorry for that didnt realize i what i was typing(you know what im refrering to)
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

shut EVERYTHING off while burning a disc, no matter what kind of set up you have. its always a good policy. so, yes your disc can skip if your pc was multi-tasking while burning. burn at no higher than 4x, try 2x even. does the converted file play ok on your pc?

make sure you are using quality media, cheap crap makes you wanna smash stuff later--problemos!

also, check for media compatibility in these forums for your players/burners to see what is good for your set-up.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Syk0
      • Mar 2005

yea it plays cool on pc ... i guess i will just try again thanks for the help

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

no sweat
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• jmet
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2002

If your backup freezes, stutters, skips, or has some pixelation, it is more than likely due to poor quality media being used. Cheap media is poorly manufactured around the edge of the disc, hence the reason why it mostly skips toward the end of the movie. The two main things to consider first are:
          • Is it cheap media that you are using? (ie. some off brand you bought at a local computer store/fair, even a store like Circuit City or Best Buy sells cheap low quality media.)
          • How fast are you burning? - Burn no faster than 4X, might have to go down to 2X with really cheap media.

Also, are you using adhesive labels on your back ups? If so, try removing the labels (if you can) and playing them again. Go here for more info on why not to use labels. - http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=28604

You can go here for some other possible solutions: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...threadid=44912

Comment

• Syk0
            • Mar 2005

it actually started to skip about 13 minutes into the film then skipped all the way to 21 minutes then 32........ in the ps2 after skipping for a lil bit if finally cut off and gave me msg saying error cannot read disc

Comment

• Syk0
              • Mar 2005

also any idea why the encoding took 2 hours.. i used dvd santa

Comment

• jmet
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2002

I have never used DVD Santa but, I would check your DMA status.

Check your DMA settings - How ? do this -> Go to Control Panel> System> Hardware Tab> Device Manager> IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers> Right Click Primary IDE channel (and Secondary IDE channel after you finish with Primary)> Properties> Advanced Settings Tab> Transfer Mode or <a href="http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616">click here to learn.</a>

Do the above from both "Primary & Secondary IDE channels".

I (We) and you need to look at whats in both "Transfer Mode" and "Current Transfer Mode". Screen shot below is what I'm talking about.

You can also look here for some other solutions: http://sniptools.com/vault/getting-b...windows-xp.htm

If it is in "PIO" mode. Click the "Driver" tab, and uninstall the driver. Then reboot. Upon rebooting windows will automatically reinstall the driver and it should go back to "DMA" mode.

Comment

• Syk0
                  • Mar 2005

ok in the primary IDE channel i have DMA if available however the transfer mode is ultra DMA mode 5 where as for the secondary the transfer mode is 2 what do u think

Comment

• iukikiana
                    • Jan 2005

Jmet - When you say "Burn at no higher thatn 4x", where do you go to check this? Hope you're feeling better after your eye surgery. Take care!

Comment

• jmet
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2002

The best transfer mode is "Ultra DMA Mode 6". Every time windows encounters an error, it will step down 1 notch. (Ex: It will go from "Ultra DMA Mode 6" down to "Ultra DMA Mode 5" and so forth till it gets to "PIO" mode. "PIO" mode is extremely slow.

(For some devices/drives, they are limited to "Ultra DMA Mode 2". Thats as high as they can get.)

What program are you using to burn with?

<hr>

Feeling great after surgery, thanks!

Comment

• iukikiana
                        • Jan 2005

I'm not sure. I have my DVD Shrink set to 'enable w/nero".
                        I was just wondering because I always read about how fast people are burning (4x, 2x, etc) so I was curious where you find this information and if mine is set correctly. But I guess it's okay cause so far since you and Cynthia helped me in my last problems I haven't had any problems.....knock on wood. Thanks and have a great evening.

Comment

• jmet
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2002

"Thanks and have a great evening."
                          You're very welcome! Glad I (We) could help.

Comment

• Syk0
                            • Mar 2005

im using nero to burn 6.3.0.3

Comment

• blutach
                              Not a god of digital video
                              • Oct 2004

@syk0

Upgrade to Nero 6.6 - get it for free here.

Your DMA is fine. Make sure your firmware is up to date.

Regards
                              Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                              [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

Working...