X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antitime
    • May 2005

DivX Conversion

Hi
    I have quite a lot of TV series recorded in Divx Format (see below), and I am trying to compile the different series onto seperate disks.The problem that I am having is that they are recorded in different formats (resolution, frame rates, bitrates etc.) The question I would like someone to answer is are there any guides outhere which I could follow (for a complete beginner)
    Also which spltting software allows you to clip the start of a movie (cutting from a point other than a keyframe. Below is a list of the variations in recording settings all taken with G-Spot.

Can anyone hepl please.....thanks in advance

DivX 3
    Resolution.
    340*368, 384*288, 512*384
    Frame Rate:
    23.976 – 29.971
    Video Bitrate:
    703 – 1611
    Video Quality Factor.
    0.123 – 0.282
    Audio Channels.
    Mono and Stereo
    Audio Bitrate.
    61 – 1536
    Audio Sample Rate.
    44100 – 48000
    Audio Codec.
    MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) and Microsoft PCM Format

DivX 5
    Resolution.
    512*384, 640*382
    Frame Rate:
    Video Bitrate:
    951 – 1579
    Video Quality Factor.
    0.161 – 0.280
    Audio Channels.
    Mono and Stereo
    Audio Bitrate.
    48 – 1536
    Audio Sample Rate.
    Audio Codec.
    MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) and Microsoft PCM Format

XVID
    Resolution.
    352*240, 416*320, 512*384
    Frame Rate:
    Video Bitrate:
    562 – 2006
    Video Quality Factor.
    0.112 – 0.357
    Audio Channels.
    Stereo
    Audio Bitrate.
    48 – 160
    Audio Sample Rate.
    16000 – 48000
    Audio Codec.
    MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3)
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I have quite a lot of TV series recorded in Divx Format (see below), and I am trying to compile the different series onto seperate disks."

I'm presuming you desire to place each series on its own DVD. If you intend to retain the original compressed file format(s), simply copy each of the files to the DVD as data. There's no need to join the files and, therefore, no need to concern yourself with video/audio formats.

If you're trying to accomplish something different than I've described, please state what you want to do...

Comment

• antitime
      • May 2005

Divx Conversion

Thanks for the initial response. What I'm trying to do is compile a particular TV series one one disk, a second series on another disk etc.
      However, because of the different ways individual avi files were created I am having difficulty in firstly joining avi's of one series together to make up one complete DVD, and prior to this I would also like to strip out parts of commercial breaks from the begining of some of the clips (which virtual dub will not allow me to do.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

what you want to do is actually very simple. i use tmpgenc plus for "cutting" and encoding. then tmpgenc dvd author for the authoring. look in this forum for tmpgenc guides, or videohelp.com
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"I would also like to strip out parts of commercial breaks from the begining of some of the clips (which virtual dub will not allow me to do."

What SPECIFIC error message is VirtualDub generating when you try to do this?

"What I'm trying to do is compile a particular TV series one one disk, a second series on another disk etc."

I understand this. But what I'm asking you is, are you intending to CONVERT the .AVIs to DVD format (in which case you should follow the suggestions made by "columbo999") or simply TRANSFER the .AVIs to burnable DVD media WITHOUT altering their (DivX-compressed or otherwise) .AVI formats?

In either case, I can't see any reason for having to JOIN the .AVIs before further processing...
          Last edited by setarip; 14 May 2005, 03:37 AM.

Comment

• antitime
            • May 2005

DivX conversion

Again Many thanks.......I'll try the idea what you put forward, the main problem that I was having was cutting out the commercial breaks from the beginning of the clip, tried a few pieces of software but to no avail with the exception of Ulead's toolbox but that greatly increased the file size.
            As I have said I'll try what you suggest and post my results all being well.

Comment

• antitime
              • May 2005

DivX Conversion

In reply to setarip's post, my initial idea was to try to re-sample the movie clips so they could be joined together (virtualdub reported various errors from both video and audio between clips preventing me from joining the clips (errors such as bad audio, different frame rates, different audio / video bitrates) and then say using Ulead Moviefactory 4 to create a complete DVD of one TV series..........well that was the plan.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"(virtualdub reported various errors from both video and audio between clips preventing me from joining the clips (errors such as bad audio, different frame rates, different audio / video bitrates)"

"I would also like to strip out parts of commercial breaks from the begining of some of the clips (which virtual dub will not allow me to do."

The above are two different things.

What SPECIFIC error message is VirtualDub generating when you try to "strip out parts of commercial breaks from the begining of some of the clips"?

Comment

Working...