• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shion
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Feb 2002

Straght Answers Please

Hi I have been asking this question a lot of times but it is still not working (thanx for the help enchanter)
    I d/l this anime that has absoloutely nothing wrong with it
    ( no squares at all)
    and it is only 50Mb
    does anybody out there know how
    2 get that kind of qulity with that size?
  • Ndb
    • Mar 2002

Anime is very low frame rate and has hardly anything moving, so can compress like no other. You could encode an anime at 9/10 frames a second and most would not notice the difference.

The lower the frame rate the smaller the file, plus the low amount of real moving also lets you use very low bitrates.

You see video compression works by only compressing the bits that change between frames. Anime does a lot of still images with minor movment with just a load of music effects to give a feel of intense action.

Also as most anime uses very little shading like most cartoons it also makes it easier to compress. i.e. less details to worry about.

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

I don't know which anime you're referring to, but the current generations of anime have a wide selection of types, ranging from the action ones to the drama type.

For the drama type (eg. To Heart), you can make do with a lower bitrate as it has few action scenes that require high bitrate. Opposed to that, action types (eg. Slayers, Angelic Layer, etc.) have many high-motion scenes that can easily challenge a VBR of 1000.

Add to that the fact that the lines at the edges of the characters are solid black, which makes the movie all the more difficult to compress.

To Shion, has your problem been answered so far?

Comment

• Ndb
        • Mar 2002

I'll have a go later with some old crap I originally bought for my sisters kid. Only it had non stop shagging in it, so that was a no no. It's 110mins long called Adventure Duo.

I'll see how small I can get it, worth a laff

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Is that an anime or cartoon? There's a difference between those two terms.

Comment

• Ndb
            • Mar 2002

Well it looks Anime, Doe eyes (i.e. everybody looks like Misty and Ash ), in japanese with english sub's, everybosy wants to shag each other or at least rip their clothes at every possible chance they get. Plus of course an out of this world storyline like AKIRA and all that.

It's made by Kiseki Films from the creators of UROTSUKIDOJI (Overfriend). You tell me

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

That should be anime alright. Pity I don't have the bandwith to get every anime titles out there...

Comment

• Ndb
                • Mar 2002

I upgraded to 1mb/s (from 512k) yesterday, but still don't download rip's. It's on on DVD, I still aint ripped it yet though to damed lazy at the mo.

Comment

• Ndb
                  • Mar 2002

Here Enchanter explain this one>

I got a clean machine (i.e. format, OS etc, but no DivX codecs or app installed). Then I installed std DivX 4.12 (no Playa) and nought else.

Well I went over to www.divx.com and thought I'd take a look at the xXx trailer. I downloaded it and played it without fail, but on closer looking it states DivX 5 required and on further reading it supposed to use all the special DivX new stuff.

So why can I play it with just Vanilla 4.12 with no other codecs installed?? Xfiles springs to mind

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

I'd guess that the DivX5 is an upgraded version of DivX4, with even more built-in encoding options. Hence, a DivX5-encoded file is playable by a machine with 4.12 installed because the both codecs have the same 'software engineering'. And are you sure that the downloaded file uses all those shiny new features?

p.s. I've decided not to use 5.x as of now, yet, until all the bugs have been weeded out. One of them is the irritating unauthorised 3.11 movie playback takeover. Hence, I can't say much about it.

Comment

• Ndb
                      • Mar 2002

"And are you sure that the downloaded file uses all those shiny new features?"

Well that's what their "oh look Sony is using our codec" write up states: http://www.divx.com/announcements.ph...uncement&id=15

I'm with you on the 5 front.

Comment

• Enchanter
                        Old member
                        • Feb 2002

After all, I don't see much reason for me to abandon 3.11 (Still trust it more due to its popularity, which must have a reason for its being) and nandub. Quality is an important issue for me. Legitimacy and built-in feature are of no importance, the latter easily made up for by most Virtualdub/Nandub filters.

Comment

• Ndb
                          • Mar 2002

Yep I must admit the amount of decent filters for V-Dub is pretty good and FREE

V-Dub has saved my bacon many a time, can't say the same for Nandub except for maybe muxing MP3's but I only use wave's and Nandub is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Comment

• shion
                            Gold Member
                            Gold Member
                            • Feb 2002

Ah Ndb i dont think you have been watching now day real animes
                            except for animes for like primary school people (eg . pokemon)
                            Enchanter i encode with VBR 900 kb but the sixe it still around 600Mb for four episodes
                            can you go step by step and help me please?

Comment

• Enchanter
                              Old member
                              • Feb 2002

You could tell vdub/nandub to encode a pre-specified range by using the Mark In/Out feature. That way, you can focus on one episode and keep working on it until you get the desired result. After that, you move on to the next episodes. That will save you a considerable amount of time, compared to the way you're doing it now, where a single mistake in the encoding (and hence a filesize deviation) will force you to redo the whole thing.

By the way, a 600MB size for 4 episodes is small (Are you planning to have it bigger or smaller actually?). I usually set a target of 175MB per episode so that I can fit 4 episodes on a 700MB CD (or 162MB for a 650MB CD). Generally, a bitrate of 1000 will do. However, episodes with a lot of scenes in the dark or night (Vision of Escaflowne and Ayashi no Ceres, for example) will need to be assigned higher bitrate values (1100-1300), as otherwise the final filesize will tend to be smaller.

Comment

Working...