Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • southrngntlmn
    • Jul 2005

? about TEMPEnc Plus

I am using TEMPEnc Plus in order to encode a divx avi file and i have it set on the slowest setting. It is currently encoding and says will take approx 20 hrs??....is this right? also do i have to use this slowest setting what others will work with my Philips DVD-+RW DVD8631 using Nero 6.6.0.15 to burn????

thankx
  • reboot
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2004

20 hrs is about right.
    Tmpgenc may have quality, but it's tediously slow.
    You do not have to use the slowest setting.
    My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• tigerman8u
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2003

d/l a trial version of mainconcept and give it a try. IMO you will be very pleased with the speed and good results

Comment

• mastercontrol
        • Jun 2005

You don't mention the length of the video, the speed of your system, or if you're applying any filters, etc. Those factors can determine how long it takes.

On my 2.8GHz system, video at single pass CBR without any filters can be encoded in almost realtime. I'm actually encoding a DivX encoded video right now.

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

single-pass CBR does not really cut it on larger displays (and full length films) though, and so 20 hrs is normal in tmpgenc on slowest settings. as tigerman suggested, give "mainconcept" a try. it is a hell of a lot faster than tmpgenc, and the quality difference is minimal...
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• tigerman8u
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Aug 2003

"give "mainconcept" a try. it is a hell of a lot faster than tmpgenc,"

so true. on my P4 1.7 512mg ram a conversion with Tmpgenc plus that takes app 9 hours mainconcept takes app 2 hours. easily 4x faster. on my tv I see no difference in quality

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

"You don't mention the length of the video, the speed of your system, or if you're applying any filters, etc. Those factors can determine how long it takes"

these factors will always make a big difference....with my 2.4 cpu i encode to mpeg-2 dvd from divx in about time and a half....but the results are very nice.
              just set up the file to encode before you go to sleep, makes a big difference.
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
              (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

Working...