Heard of New compression? 4x smaller than DIVX

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MovieRipper
    • Mar 2002

There's a Belgium guy who clames he can compress a 1 1/2 hour movie to a minimum of just 20 MB. Yip you're reading this right, 20 MB. The problem is that he wants to sell and put his compression technique available only for NASA. Pitty I think. There's much more use for this in the entertainment industrie. If I find the time I'll try to translate the article cause it's in dutch.

Comment

• andreaskorth
      • Mar 2002

The MPEG 2 format, the basis of the dvd is not yet "obsolete" it has many advantages, and is a vast improvement over VHS or S-VHS.
      I didn't say MPEG 2 was antiquated but the DVD certainly is since it is fixed to SDTV resolution. MPEG 2 is technically not limited to a certain resolution or bitrate (in fact it is but it would still be sufficient for HDTV). With MPEG 4 you could get more out of the capacity of a DVD.

Comment

• andreaskorth
        • Mar 2002

There's a Belgium guy who clames he can compress a 1 1/2 hour movie to a minimum of just 20 MB. Yip you're reading this right, 20 MB. The problem is that he wants to sell and put his compression technique available only for NASA.
        I can easily compress a 4 hour movie to just 2 MB using DivX. It merely depends on the resolution, bitrate and the source video

BTW, I thought the NASA guys deal with spaceships in the first place.

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

I thought the NASA guys deal with spaceships in the first place.
          Probably they are planning to record videos of the red planet or other starts in the DivX format. Talk about NASA keeping up with the technologies.

Comment

• MovieRipper
            • Mar 2002

No Nasa isn't going to get into digital video. But the compression technique he develloped can be used with any file available. Just wait for my article translation.

Comment

Working...