DVD to AVI to MPEG - and other stuff

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SkaterJon88

DVD to AVI to MPEG - and other stuff

I'm thinking of recording some shows using a DVD recorder and then ripping them using Smart Ripper 2.41 and then transferring the vob file to AVI and then to MPEG and burning it on a DVD. Would this work?

I have TMPGEnc 2.51 Plus and I just need to know how to convert the stuff. I also heard XviD is better than DivX. I'm not sure though. Thanks for the help.

Also, I want something easy to use, I've used Flask Mpeg and the audio is ALWAYS off and VirtualDub is too advanced for me.
    Last edited by Guest; 9 Aug 2005, 05:24 PM.
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

"I'm thinking of recording some shows using a DVD recorder "

a dvd RECORDER will burn right to a dvd. the buck stops there, unless you mean something else....
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• ashes
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Aug 2005

@SkaterJon88

Hi!

Even if you DO have some reason for wanting to convert to AVI, there's absolutely no need to use SmartRipper because your DVD files won't contain any encryption. You can simply use Windows to copy from the DVD to your hard drive.

Of course, whatever you're attempting to accomplish, your PC system has to include a DVD-ROM (reader) or DVD burner.

Comment

• SkaterJon88

Originally Posted by columbo999
        "I'm thinking of recording some shows using a DVD recorder "

a dvd RECORDER will burn right to a dvd. the buck stops there, unless you mean something else....
        Well, I'll probably be recording in XP mode, so I might want to compress it using DivX/XviD and make a menu, edit out commercials, etc.

Originally Posted by ashes
        @SkaterJon88

Hi!

Even if you DO have some reason for wanting to convert to AVI, there's absolutely no need to use SmartRipper because your DVD files won't contain any encryption. You can simply use Windows to copy from the DVD to your hard drive.

Of course, whatever you're attempting to accomplish, your PC system has to include a DVD-ROM (reader) or DVD burner.
        So will I be able to open up the DVD and then just copy/paste the file? What will the file be...mpeg2?

And yes, I do have a DVD drive.
        Last edited by Guest; 9 Aug 2005, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• HDTiVo
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Feb 2004

If you want easy, use DVD Shrink to reduce the size of the program, then use a simple DVD authoring program to create the menus, edit and burn.

Shrink from the original DVD to your HD. Then import the Shrink'ed program into the authoring program...

Comment

• techno
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2001

im still going to use my trusty saying

DIVX 3.11a is better than than DIVX 4+ in terms of quality (when using 2pass) and also file size, period

and you STILL DO have to decrypt the DVD wether you are converting from DVD to AVI or DVD to MPEG...

Comment

Working...