X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carlton78
    • Aug 2005

Problem with audio in xvid file

Hi,

This is my first post. I hope someone can help me.
    I have a movie on my computer with the extension "XviD-QiX.avi"
    The video plays fine, but there is no audio when I try playing it on any of the conventional media players. I finally managed to get the audio to work on VideoLAN Media Player.
    However, I then tried to burn the movie to dvd with Nero, but when I played it on my dvd player attached to my tv, the video worked fine but again there was no audio.
    Any ideas as to how I can get the audio to work once I burn the movie to dvd? Also, why doesn't the audio work on other media players (i.e., other than VideoLAN Media Player)?

Thanks.
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

we need to know details of that file. download and install virtualdubmod and post a screenshot of everything you see in the audio video information screen.

i'll take a shot in the dark here and guess it's ac3 audio.
    right click the file in windows "properties" , "summary" tab and does it say in the audio area "ac3 decompressor" or anything of that nature?

i'm guessing you don't have the ac3 acm decompressor installed on your system.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• carlton78
      • Aug 2005

Thanks for your reply Lt. Columbo.

I tried opening the file in VirtualDubMod, but a warning appeared wihch stated:

[!] Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID' (unknown).
      VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to
      decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media
      Player, are not suitable. Only 'Direct stream copy' is available for this
      video.

In terms of what I saw when I right clicked on the file, then "properties" and on the "summary" tab, I didn't see any mention of an ac3 decompressor.

Any ideas of where to go from here?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

with that file opened in vdub, under "file" , "file information"

show everything under audio and video plz.

i'd install and xvid codec like 1.0.3, it plays any xvid that i have used.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

as an alternative to virtualdub (excellent tool) you can use avicodec or Gspot and it will tell you what codec/s you need and if they are installed on your pc. I agree with columbo that it's probably ac-3 audio. ac-3 decompressor is a good ac-3 codec and it's free

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

i recommend you download & install the latest (alpha) version of "ffdshow"... should play all your video and audio just fine

get it here: http://www.free-codecs.com
            "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...