X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

For some reason, getting (most) movies on the computer is actually better than watching them ?

Comment

• mrBullseye
      • Mar 2002

okay, c your point, BUT

This disscusion more than anything applies to videogames aswell! If I like a certain game, I buy it, no disscusion! Its just that feeling of having a legally bought game, and its box, thats the great thing about buying! But I'm not that into buying a dvd-movie for almost half the price, with a lifelengt that is soooooo much lower than that of a game! So usually i rent the movie instead, and rip it, or copy it, if it is a vhs! In this particuar case (gladiator, remember) I borrowed the movie from my brother and ripped it, so I would have a copy aswell! Ripping is also a great way to not scratch your dvd-disc! Scratches is the most annoying thing about cd:s and dvd:S so thank god for burning and ripping!!

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Exactly. The ripping and encoding part is really fun. Watching the move is good, say, if you need to return the DVD the next day and you haven't got the chance to watch it.

Take this one example. I had to return a DVD, which I hadn't watched yet. I got it ripped and encoded into DivX the following day and watched it. I found the quality to be good and nothing to complain about (Except for it being oversized by a mere 3MB so that the burner refuses to start). However, on a second very close look, I found parts of it being unsatisfactory. This shows that first-time viewers are not really that critical of perfect quality.

Lastly, I don't distribute my rips like Dominion and what's-the-other-one's-name do. I keep them as personal collections and lend them to my friends only when they ask for it (I never make the offer). This is too small a case to be a direct threat to the movie industry.

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

In many cases, the technical work associated with ripping is better than the actual movie. In other words, people get a "kick" out of taking the movie from dvd to divx---except the RIAA, that is.

If there's a real cool movie getting a dvd legal version, is a great "symbol".
          Last edited by Batman; 31 Mar 2002, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• [H]arbinger
            • Apr 2002

Well for me it is really like this .
            I bought a DVD the other day the name of it is Robin hood prince of thieves the one with Kevin Costner . This DVD really upset me .
            As it was a two sided DVD when the movie could have been put on one side . So I ripped it and joined the two parts and put it on my media pc that I have hooked upto my TV Problem solved . I am fixing to do Dances with wolves because it was done in the same way .
            Oh and the only reason any of us do DVD rips is for backup purposes which is legal if you own the movie . (wink wink )
            Backups ! Yeah thats it lol
            Last edited by [H]arbinger; 8 Apr 2002, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

Right...umh...back ups...exactly!

Comment

• Baca
                • Apr 2002

, I did convert this movie to VCD 2.0 (PAL 352x288, I got 2 CDs). Quality of video was very good a sound too.
                I think it is possible to convert it into 1CD in DivX format at about
                860 kbps.

bye, Baca.

Comment

Working...