DVD -> DivX/h.264 without losing stuff and other crap...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FAII
    • Aug 2005

DVD -> DivX/h.264 without losing stuff and other crap...

I've tried 3 different ways in the past 3 days and each one has given me the same crappy results.

I have subbed Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children (soft) and now I need a high def. rip of it. However, whatever programs I use (GordionKnot, AutoGK, Virtualdub, VirtualdubMod), I always run into these problems:

* If I use h.264 as the output, I cannot resize the screen. However, the program AUTO-RESIZES the movie into 720 x 480, when it's actually 720 x 400!!!!!
    * With Virtualdub and VirtualdubMod, the movie is automatically lengthened by a few minutes, thus, screwing up my entire sub.
    * With AutoGK, the movie loses 7 seconds, thus screwing up the later part of my sub!

Help, please? Comments, suggestions, theorizing of why the world of conversion hates me?
  • FAII
    • Aug 2005

OK, with AutoGK; I've managed to make it so that the length is still the same. However, it adds 16 pixels, still >_>'

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

i have encoded many, many divx/xvid/x264 from dvd. gordian knot produces excellent results. are you absolutely sure your settings are correct?

check out the dvd-->xvid/divx/x264 guides here for some guidelines http://www.doom9.org
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• FAII
        • Aug 2005

Hi, I tried doom9's guide earlier today (without having read your reply yet XD) and encountered the following problems:

The guide seems a bit outdated. I downloaded the packs that the guide linked to. However, a lot of the GK menus looked different. In fact, I couldn't even find some of the stuff that guide was referring to.

Not only that, when I got to configure the x264 codec, the best I could get was 736 x 400. Now it was adding 16 pixels to the WIDTH of the screen (which isn't good either!).

All I want is a way to encode my dvd to 720x400 (and without stretching or smooshing the length of the movie)(the way it's supposed to be) in either xvid, divx or h264 (but preferrably h264 for quality's sake). If someone can give me a step-by-step on exactly how to do that, I'd be very grateful >_<'.

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by FAII
          All I want is a way to encode my dvd to 720x400
          just make sure your resolution settings look like this (note the h-modul and w-modul are both set to 16, even though the default is 32)

make sure the aspect ratio is set correctly too, and don't crop unless its necessary.

Comment

• FAII
            • Aug 2005

Oh, ok. I'll try that. Thanks

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

no problem

let us know how it goes

Comment

• FAII
                • Aug 2005

Whee, it's working. It's been encoding for 14 hours and now and will be done in another 4. 720x400, 1:41:1, h264 .

I used GordionKnot. Anyway, I read the readme after having let it encode for 6 hours and it said something about Roborip that you should not use DvD Decrypter because that would make the audio offsynch and force filming doesn't work. It just meant in conjuction with Roborip, right? >_>'

Comment

• anonymez
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by FAII
                  It just meant in conjuction with Roborip, right? >_>'
                  not sure, i've never used 'roborip' before. stick with dvd decrypter, its never failed me

Comment

• FAII
                    • Aug 2005

Only 3 hours 20 mins left 'til I can find out.

Comment

• FAII
                      • Aug 2005

It worked . It gave ma 720x408 movie though (even though GK said it was going to be 400), but that's OK. The extra 8 pixels are just black stripes . And the subs are still well aligned.

Comment

• anonymez
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2004

glad to see it worked out

Comment

Working...