Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hitpro
    • Sep 2005

NEED HELP... dat to mpg

I cannot for the life of me convert some dat files to mpgs. I've checked this and other forums and nothing has worked. Tried Tmpgenc..nothing.

I've used vcd gear and got this message:

[ VCDGEAR PROCESSING LOG ]
    ## VCDGear active : 10/29/2005 @ 1:50:25 AM ##
    Setting multi-file output convention to '_%02d'
    70-215-1[1].dat
    WARNING: Specified DAT file has an invalid XA header signature.
    [70-215-1[1].dat]
    Could not locate MPEG stream.

Might I add that the dat files were not taken from a VCD. They were downloaded.
    Last edited by hitpro; 29 Oct 2005, 11:56 PM.
  • paglamon
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

Your DAT file probably does not have any mpeg stream.Try to get information about the video stream in ur DAT file using G Spot.
    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

Might I add that the dat files were not taken from a VCD. They were downloaded.
      that explains alot. if they were taken from a standard VCD all you would have to do is change the extension from .DAT to ".mpg". did you have the priority raised in tmpgenc before you tried to encode them? i assure you, tmpgenc has no qualms with .dat files. more info here:
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• hitpro
        • Sep 2005

Yes, I set the TMPGEnc Project File Reader 2.59 to the highest priority. Is this what you are talking about? I tried and I got this message:
        "....can not open, or unsupported." Funny thing, I get the same message when I try to open an mpg file that I recorded on my pc from the TV input on my video card.(But that's for another discussion)

Attached is one of the files. Maybe someone can try it also and see if they can solve it. **change the extension to dat**
        Attached Files

Comment

• LT. Columbo
          Demigod of Digital Video
          • Nov 2004

Yes, I set the TMPGEnc Project File Reader 2.59 to the highest priority. Is this what you are talking about?
          no.

Go to the TMPGEnc's Option menu and select Environmental settings. From there, select the
          VFAPI Plug-in tab.

There you see a list of various reader plugins installed for the TMPGEnc. The one that's called DirectShow Multimedia File Reader is the one that we're looking at. As a default, its priority is -1. Select the item and right click on it. Choose Higher priority and repeat this until the "Priority" for this item is higher than any other plugin's priority in the list (usually 2). LEAVE this set always. I have found 50% of files won’t even open or produce write stream errros unless this is set.
          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
          Columbo moments...
          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• tigerman8u
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Aug 2003

try Isobuster. It has worked really good for me

Comment

• hitpro
              • Sep 2005

LT. Columbo: I tried that... no luck. I get the same message "....can not open, or unsupported."

tigerman8u and paglamon: maybe I'll try those if I get absolutely no results from TMPGEnc

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

that's too bad, if you can't open them in tmpgenc with those settings---there must be a problem with those downloaded files.....i'm affraid i have no further suggestions
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• hitpro
                  • Sep 2005

That's ok. Thanks for the help anyway. I guess I'll try tigerman8u and paglamon's suggestions now.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

your welcome, i hope you get it working. truth is i have yet to have a file i couldn't load into tmpgenc....(for ones it supports)
                    Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...