Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • omarh
    • Nov 2001

Xmpg and DVD2AVI MMX

I recently found that if I use that custom version of flask, the one called xmpeg or something like that, it has a setting called "DVD2AVI MMX", and when i use that, my encoding speed goes from 5 or 6 fps in regular flask, to 8 or 9fps. which is almost the same that i get from the standalone DVD2AVI used as a frameserver to virtual dub
  • omarh
    • Nov 2001

Ok I learned something new I thought I'd share with you all.
    When encoding Star Trek TMP, I noticed that xmpeg does a horrible job when using the other AMD IDCT algorithm i found to be the fastest. xmpeg also messes up the resolution or something it squashes the picture. i dunno maybe i set it up wrong...
    but I encoded the same movie in DVD2AVI as a frame server to virtual dub, and the result was awesome!!! we're talking beautiful looking divx 4.11 video.

Comment

• kheperi
      • Dec 2001

Ah a xmpeg topic!

I think its buggy. But i would like to keep using it because the results with divx4.11 2-pass look GREAT!

But it seems as if the settings arent working as they should.
      Default colorspace is set to rgb. with this setting for some reason i dont understand i got VERY BAD playback in all players, EXEPT the playa. although the other players where using the 4.11 codec too.

But after trying a lot of things and also with different colorspace settings i tried again with the same settings (rgb), the same movie, from the same dvd-rip etc... and now it was working ok!!
      thats strange.
      Now i'm running a test with JV12 set. In fact i'm not really shure what the differences are and what exactly are the (dis)advantages...

Comment

• omarh
        • Nov 2001

What is the main difference between 1 pass and 2 pass anyway??? is the file size smaller? does it handle high motion better???

Comment

• kheperi
          • Dec 2001

well for one thing the size of the resulting file is predictable. And second: the codec gets a better chance to work at its optimum compressionlevel (depending on the setting ofcourse) when it 'knows' what lies ahead.

Thats what 2 -pass is about.

Comment

Working...