Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rorax
    • Apr 2002

Legal Divx movies

I am considering to open a DIVX movies site. But i don't know how legal it is, i searched the web and couldn't found any info related to this subject.

Is it legal to open site, and share DIVX movies, where can i find information about it?

How divxcrawler is working? i assume if he is open there must be a legal way to build up a site.

Thanks
  • techno
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2001

Well,

DIVX 3.11alpha is the best codec for me, and a few people since it is good quality and low file size. But it is hacked, so you can get cought.

However, DIVX v4.xx and v5.xx is legal but big file sizes so you can put the movies, encoded in these codecs, for download.

If people (like legal people) catch you by putting up DIVX movies for free, then I think the site will be shutdown and you will be sued or whatever.

DIVXCRAWLER I think has some sort of way. Either:

1) They pay for the movies from the liscense
    2) Not many people know about this, so it is a bit of a hush hush business.

I really don't know what to say, apart from, keep it QUIET! (woops, sorry for shouting )

There are mixed views but for safe side, I wouldn't recommend it, but this is my opinion

Techno

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

It'll be difficult IMHO. Noone would ever pay for movies, not especially when they can get the movies off file-sharing programs for free.

If you wish though, DivX4 or 5 are the only viable options as they are legal (But remember you still need to pay royalties to DivX for using their codec on a commercial website). DivX3.11a is an illegal hack of the M$ codec.

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

you could of course use MS MPEG4 v2 in nandub 2pass (better quality)

It wouldn't be illegal then!

Techno

Comment

• [H]arbinger
          • Apr 2002

A little clarity here please . Am I missing something ? What do you mean 3.11 is hacked and is illegal and divx 4/5 is legal ?

Comment

• techno
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2001

3.11alpha codec was ILLEGAL, it was hacked from MSMPEG4.

DIVX 4 and 5 are legal, completly re-designed (most of it I think)

Techno

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

Divx 3.11 is considered a "hack" of earlier Microsoft codecs. Divx 4.xx and 5.xx are supposedly legal. You can purchase I guess, "legal" content through the divx.com website. However, I wouldn't embark on a large project until the MPEG LA is hammered out. There are licensing issues yet to be worked out, until then the technology remains in a limbo.

I'm not sure if people would pay though.

Comment

Working...