X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hawkinsa21
    • Apr 2006

Cutting and Encoding using BMP, avi and Divx 6.1

Hey guys, first post so be nice

I've had a look around and read through the 'splitting/cutting avi files' and wonder if VirtualDubMod will be good for the following....

I've been playing with Divx encoding whilst using Blaze Media Pro to edit/cut up an .avi video, which isn't complete, so that I have one shorter but complete file.

I've used the Divx convertor that comes with it, and selected Divx MPEG4 encoding, to get the best quality... the .avi was originally in Divx MPEG4 anyway, but when cutting the file up, I obviously need to choose the compression method.. but, the quality is significantly lower, even when putting the kbps up to the highest setting of 6000 and keeping the original video size of I believe, 640 x 480... I've also tried Divx 6.1 which appears to have many more features including 'insane quality'... but still the quality isn't as good as I'd like... am I asking too much of it?

My question is this... can I keep the exact quality when cutting an .avi file and encoding it?? I don't mind if it means having a larger file size...

Basically the original .avi file is around a full CD size, about 700ish MB, and I'm cutting a 480MB chunk out of it.... and want to keep the quality... I thought I could just cut that and save it seperately with the exact same quality and file size initially like Nero can with its WAV editor.. but I think its becoming clear that its not that straight forward..

Im fairly new to encoding but think I'll be doing a lot more soon as my bro is doing a Uni course on Film production and he's actually really good at it.. and he's using Adobe Premier but I like helping out, and encoding files at highest possible quality is something that I kinda like playing with...

Im very PC / Computer literate, so I can deal with Jargon and I use Google lots to learn.. but I thought I'd sign up here and ask the experts... I've posted this also on Divx forums but this site seems much more lively!

Sorry for the long post, and if you've got this far... thanks for reading guys !

Regards,

Alex
    Last edited by hawkinsa21; 13 Apr 2006, 10:44 PM.
  • futurex
    Outlaw Ridah
    • Mar 2005

yes virtualdubmod can do it, without any quality loss at all. no encoding is done

just open the file, drag the slider to where you want the clip to start, press "home" on your keyboard. drag to end, hit the "end" button. click "video", select "direct stream copy", then save as avi.
    Futurex

Comment

• hawkinsa21
      • Apr 2006

Top man Futurex, great advice and works a treat...

Alex

Comment

• rahmath
        • Apr 2006

software

thanks for software

Comment

• rahmath
          • Apr 2006

thanks for software

Comment

Working...