Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darren_21
    • Apr 2006

DG Index question - converting PAL to NTSC

am following the guide located here: http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...ighlight=index

The question I have is when using the DGindex, I get a *.d2v file but not a *mpa audio file as the guide states but an *.ac3 file. Now I've been looking around and this seems normal. But the problem I have now is that TMPGEnc doesn't recognize *.ac3 audio files.

So either how do i get DG Index to spit out an *.mpa audio file or make TMPG read the *.ac3 file?

In the meantime I will look some more.

Just a quick question, after the dvd is ripped using dvd decrypter and opened in DG Index, and previewed I get the horizontal lines. What I'm wondering is whether this will be removed at a later time or if thats my first brick wall? thanks a bunch!!!
  • benbryant
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Aug 2005

Hi darren_21,

First of all, I would like to thank you so much for using my guide

But the problem I have now is that TMPGEnc doesn't recognize *.ac3 audio files.
    It's TMPGEnc Plus's drawback for not being able to accept .ac3 audio. I usually recommend to use BeLight and BeSweet to convert audio file from AC3 to WAV format before opening it with TMPGEnc

Just a quick question, after the dvd is ripped using dvd decrypter and opened in DG Index, and previewed I get the horizontal lines. What I'm wondering is whether this will be removed at a later time or if thats my first brick wall?
    DGIndex is the to to frameserve the DVD files to different programs to process these files. It definitely doesn't alter, degrade, or improve phisically the quality at all. Therefore, if you see any imperfection, please check the original DVD for any problem

Regards

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

i can't explain why, but SOME AC3 files will be accepted with directshow OFF. never on, but you run the risk of stream errors and wasting your time. to keep things very simple, see this FAQ on how to convert that AC3 using the software ben mentioned.
      Talk about the TMPGEnc line of software, including TMPGEnc Express, MPEG Editor and TMPGEnc DVD Author
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• darren_21
        • Apr 2006

I managed to convert the AC3 to WAV so I'm working on the rest of it, I will post again if I run into further problems, and thank you for the help.

Comment

• ed klein
          Banned
          • Mar 2004

Use DGIndex to create the output d2v video file and the wave audio file.

Input into TMPGEnc Basic (mpeg1) or better TMPGEnc Plus (mpeg2) the d2v video file and the wave audio file. The output files from TMPGEnc will be the m2v video file and the mpa or mp2 audio file.

If you are trying to create an AC-3 audio file use VOB Edit input vobs and output ac-3 audio file

Comment

• benbryant
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Aug 2005

It's quite true that DGIndex can demux AC3 audio directly to WAV itself. In DGIndex, just go to Audio > Output Method and select "Decode AC3 track to WAV". By doing this, you can ensure that all the AC3 files will be converted to WAV format and all the .d2v and .wav files can be open in TMPGEnc Plus readily

Regards

Comment

• burcs
              • Feb 2006

For what it's worth I don't use the sound hardly at all in TMPGenc. Especially on pal to ntsc's. I demux the ac3 in DGIndex, then just transcode the video as ES, no audio (.m2v).

Save you from having to demux it again after you transcode in order to do your 3-2 pulldown in DGpulldown, as well. I just remux the audio when authoring in DVD author. Never had a problem with DVD author not recognizing ac3, it's only TMPGenc. Saves a lot of time.

Comment

• benbryant
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Aug 2005

For what it's worth I don't use the sound hardly at all in TMPGenc. Especially on pal to ntsc's. I demux the ac3 in DGIndex, then just transcode the video as ES, no audio (.m2v).

Save you from having to demux it again after you transcode in order to do your 3-2 pulldown in DGpulldown, as well. I just remux the audio when authoring in DVD author. Never had a problem with DVD author not recognizing ac3, it's only TMPGenc. Saves a lot of time.
                Although encoding the PAL to NTSC with TMPGEnc in System Stream (audio+video) via DGIndex instead of Elementary Stream takes extra steps, its main purpose in to minimize the chance of audio to go out of sync which sometimes happens, sometimes not, depending on certain movies

Regards

Comment

• burcs
                  • Feb 2006

True. I was just pointing out how I do it. Even on 2 cd avi's, I've yet to come across an audio sync problem after joining the 2 avi's and demuxing the ac3 with vdubmod. I just transcode the avi and remux in DVD author. Saves about...20 minutes? I guess between de-muxing and re-muxing.

In theory, the audio and video lengths shouldn't change during the entire process. So if they sync'd up before, they should sync up after.

In theory...

I'd rather just skip anything (possibly) unnecessary and cross any audio sync problem bridges when I get to them.

Comment

• neuron2
                    • May 2003

Originally Posted by darren_21
                    Just a quick question, after the dvd is ripped using dvd decrypter and opened in DG Index, and previewed I get the horizontal lines. What I'm wondering is whether this will be removed at a later time or if thats my first brick wall? thanks a bunch!!!
                    That's just interlacing. If it's pure interlaced source, you'll need a deinterlacer. If it's 3:2 pulldown, you can use Force Film in DGIndex, or you can use an external IVTC filter, such as Decomb. Or you can leave it interlaced, if your display device is interlaced.

Comment

Working...