• Show
Clear All
  • techno
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2001

dvd ripping improving quality

hi there.

I am doing experimenting on dvd ripping.

I am trying to get good quality on 1 700MB CD.

I am using nandub 2pass which gives me a bitrate of 908. (608*353)

now, I used fast motion 6000 bitrate using dvdx, great quality, but there were some blocks on some scenes, file size was 395MB!!! (DVD)

now, how can I improve the quality in nandub? I do not want to go more than 700MB, I have cut out the credtis.

I am currently, at this minute, doing another 2pass in nandub using GK avs file and leaving PC on overnight.

If I do not get good quality, what else can I do?

Please help.

Thank-you in advanced
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

For quality, that means details. For details, fast-motion is definitely out of the equation. You are such an FM loyalist.

If you are still having trouble with shits, I suggest giving M$ MPEG4 V2 a try. It's a very good one compared to 3.11a, though I've yet to decide which I would really use.

Comment

• techno
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Nov 2001

Enchanter:

I couldn't believe it but fast motion, some how, prododuced great quality on low motion scenes too!

I was suprised, I was just experimenting.

hmm... Some times, movies look better in one codec than the other.

OK, fair enough, we/I can use low motion (I never disliked it! ) but how can I make it better quality but less than for 700MB? any help or advice is appreciated,

Thanks Enchanter, you are one true guru

Techno

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

Ok, sorry Enchanter - my bad.

I switched the PC on this morning (after a night of 2pass) and then replied but didnt look at the 2pass first.

I looked at it and wooooowww....better than the quality it produced!!! I am happy!

thanks alot, ur the guru! of guru's

Techno

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

It really depends on your system hardware setup too. What VGA card and sort of monitor are you using? Old hardware will definitely not output good quality pictures, and hence you won't see a difference between LM and FM-encoded scenes.

Another thing you had, but probably have not realised is that FM is highly unpredictable. It removes so much details that even assigning a bitrate of 6000 still yielded a meagre 395MB for your final filesize. For those who want to use as much MB on their 700MB as possible, this is a very unacceptable behaviour. I myself often reencode the whole movie when it is undersized by even 5MB just so that I get a filesize in the range of 698-702MB.

I should perhaps try FM again just to make sure. However, I do remember that all my rips previously done in FM was totally rubbish and I simply discarded the lot of them.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Maybe I shouldn't have said a thing here...

Comment

• techno
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Nov 2001

Enchanter...just for your info:

17" Monitor (2 year old)
              Asus cusl2 intel i815ep chipset
              Intel Penitum III 800EBMHz
              NVidia creative geforce 2mx 32MB AGP

This is the main stuff u need to know

But honestly, I couldn't believe the good quality FM produced but I will try again, but I am keeping the one I did last night for sure...hehehehe

Thanks Enchanter

THE GURU OF DIVX! heheheheh..........

Techno

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

I'm not a guru in the first place, mind you. I could consider myself one when I finally get a fast net connection (T1 or higher) and join the ranks of anime fansubbers. But then again, there will be many such people around me too. LOL

By the way, that system config of yours is almost identical to one of my systems. Just that the board is an original Intel board, not Asus. This sunday, I will be buying a HSF for the GPU for some maximum overclocking. I know yours does not come with one either.
                Last edited by Enchanter; 24 Apr 2002, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• techno
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Nov 2001

Well, to me u r a guru, setarip and uncasms are also guru's!

I was actually desprate for a motherboard in december, couldn't find one and therefore could have failed my college final assessment to pass the course! Eventually, after having 6 motherboards, I found the right one, I got it from my delear (I have a PC business, so it is my supplier) and it works like a charm. and wasn't expensive!
                  thanks again

Techno

Comment

Working...