X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Duncsavi
    • Jul 2006

large avi files

Hello,

After trying many encoding options to get video streamed around the house it appears that avi is the best option in terms of compatibility on all machines : media center, xbox 360 and Buffalo linktheater.

Wanting to retain as much quality as possible is there any way to encode to very large file size, e.g. 4gb, and are the quality benefits worthwhile ?

If it's worthwhile what software could I use. I looked at autogk and setting quality to 100% only gave me a 1.8Gb file. So I'm now running a test with the DivX converter on high def profile. Again not sure if this is really going to benefit me though ?

I'll give a short background to my overall problem although it may not strictly be all for this forum.

- Linktheater will play mpeg, avi and vob files however split vob files cause pauses as it plays them as seperate files.
    - Can stream all above to Xbox360 without problem
    - attempted to rip single vob then convert to mpeg but had some playback skipping issues on media center
    - My last attempt was to rip disc (after compression) in file mode and have no vob splitting. This again had playback issues on media center.

So unless I'm missing something it looks like avi is the way forward but I'd like to retain quality.

Any opinions would be greatly appreacieted.

Thanks
    Duncan
Working...